Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Combined spermicide?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Combined spermicide?
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is driving me crazy. Just over a year ago when I spent tons and tons of time researching birthcontrol, I read about a new spermicidal gel that was touted as being less likely to cause irritations and bad reactions. What it was was a combination of three different spermicides. The idea was that because it used three different spermicides, it didn't need to use very much of any of them individually, making it less likely for someone to develop a sensitivity to any one of them. I know that one of the three was nonoxynol-9. I'm not sure if octoxynol-9 was in there or not, and I can't even imagine what a third might have been. The article was somewhere on the internet--I found it through altavista. It gave the name of the product and a short discussion, and listed the three chemicals. I think there was a link to the developers' webpage. It was called Z-gel or something? Anyway, I can't find it now. Has anyone here heard of it?
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, could sodium laureth sulfate be the third?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would have remembered that. Sodium laureth sulfate is used as a spermicide? Is the idea like, industrial cleaning agent = sperm killer? Nonoxynol-9 was originally developed to clean swimming pools...

I do think it was some nasty organometallic, but I could be wrong.

The only combined spermicides I pull up on websearches are those dual action ones they're developing, but I think this was something different. Maybe I'm crazy...

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sodium lareth sulphate? One of the main ingredients in soap? I'm gonna ask a question even though I know the answer is no: does that mean I can use my liquid hand soap as a spermacide?
Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by momma cat:
sodium lareth sulphate? One of the main ingredients in soap? I'm gonna ask a question even though I know the answer is no: does that mean I can use my liquid hand soap as a spermacide?

The answer is NO! But you already knew that. Liquid handsoap would not work as a spermicide, but it might irritate genitals to no end and make STDs much more easily transmitable(here I go making up words again, way too early in the morning).

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that triple post. Having such computer issues today.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

As an aside, although there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the hype about sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate causing cancer is pure bunk (Tom's of Maine even uses sls in their all natural toothpaste), I still don't see any reason for a powerful surfactant to be in my hand and body soap. I must say, lately I'm partial to DrBronner's almond soap ( http://www.drbronner.com ), both for the high-quality/reasonable price and the bemusing labels.
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the green tea soap Garden Botanica makes. Can't think of the ingredients off the top of my head besides green tea, but there's no sls. It might have been just green tea and glycerine. I feel squeaky clean after showering with it, but not dried out, and it smells nice but not stong-no artificial fragrance.
Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truly, though, SLS was the last new Wonder Spermicide I heard of -- no joke. Really, do they think these things through?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poet- I fixed your triple post.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Wow. Do you remember where you heard about it? I got the impression that ever since those studies about n-9 increasing the chances of getting HIV, most of the new spermicide research (such as it is) has been on "dual action" spermicides that really will, they mean it this time, or so they say, help prevent HIV.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.