Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Twilight: Romantic or Creepy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Twilight: Romantic or Creepy?
emrose91
Neophyte
Member # 71289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emrose91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say first that I read the whole Twilight Series, and yes, it was VERY hard to put down, and a very intriguing story.
That being said, circumstances in my life have caused me to develop a love/hate relationships for it.
After reading the books, and seeing the movies, I couldn't help having a nagging, creepy feeling about the whole thing...
Wasn't Bella ever weirded out when Edward admitted to following her around? Listening to other people's thoughts about her? Watching her sleep?
What about their connection was so strong that they would have killed themselves if they were apart, as they almost did in the second book? I felt like I hardly knew the main characters at all right before their separation. So, what about Edward was so appealing to Bella that she would fall in love with him so fast? And vice versa?
And so many other questions.

After some very uncomfortable situations with stalkers and dominating, controlling partners in my life, the story sounds more like the romanticized chronicle of a stalker. Especially considering the range of emotions Edward associated with Bella: love, fear, anger, contempt, even ownership to an extent. I'm not saying that all novels should be moralistic, but these are some pretty creepy ideals to be selling to young people, and even adults.

What do you think makes this story particularly intriguing? Is it the element of danger?

--------------------
"Love is blind. God is love. Therefore, Ray Charles must be God." - Graffiti

Posts: 18 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've talked a little bit about the abusive aspects in Twilight in this thread here: http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/20/t/000204.html

And you are absolutely right. While Edward's behavior is portrayed as romantic, and perceived as such by Bella, there's really nothing romantic about it.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emrose91
Neophyte
Member # 71289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emrose91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! Having to change your phone number and block people on facebook is definitely not romantic.

When I read it, it seemed like the author was trying to make Edward's stalking look like a quaint, old-fashioned custom. THAT was weird....

--------------------
"Love is blind. God is love. Therefore, Ray Charles must be God." - Graffiti

Posts: 18 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.