Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » VH1's The New Virginity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VH1's The New Virginity
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched VH1's special on the new wave of virginity in the media and in pop culture (i.e. The Jonas Brothers and chastity balls). I was expecting a one-sided argument with little genuine insight, but I was surprised at how well they treated the issue. I think they really hit the nail on the head in a lot of regards, like the pressures girls face from all sides to keep their virginity, the failure of abstinence-only sex ed, as well as the ridiculousness of the concept of virginity as a whole. What I found particularly interesting was their point that the trend of using one's supposed chastity as a marketing strategy demonstrates in a literal sense the idea that a girl's virginity is her sole value.

So props to VH1. Has anyone else seen it?

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightshade
Activist
Member # 45255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightshade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched it. I thought it was crazy how that girl was trying to 'sell' her virginity, and all the reasons people would 'buy' it. The newness, sense of wonder, ect. Are you kidding me?

And the chastity balls. That really kind of freaked me out. It really kind of scared me, the idea of the father owning the girl's purity. I don't think any one else can be in charge of our sexual selves except us.

They literally brought up a few things that made me jump up and cheer. I think I might have to watch it again and pay a bit more attention before I can really pass serious judgment. But as it stands, I really liked it.

Posts: 43 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a chastity ball? I've heard of chastity belts, but... not balls.

(Sorry, this is slightly off topic. I haven't seen the program, but I'm glad they handled it well.)

Posts: 116 | From: SL | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightshade
Activist
Member # 45255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightshade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Wikipedia.

'A purity ball (also known as a father-daughter purity ball is a formal ball dance event attended by fathers and their daughters. Purity balls promote virginity until marriage for teenage girls, and are often closely associated with Evangelical Christian churches in the USA. Typically, daughters who attend make a virginity pledge; a pledge to remain sexually abstinent until marriage. Fathers who attend pledge to protect what they view as their young daughters' purity of mind, body, and soul. Proponents promote a strong father-daughter relationship as a means to affirm what they consider to constitute spiritual and physical purity.'

There's a pretty unbiased general definition.

Posts: 43 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cloverdance
Neophyte
Member # 47739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cloverdance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole purity ball thing really skeeves me out, primarily because it seems so focused on the girls' virginity. Do they have mother-son balls that promote mother-son relationships, where the moms pledge to protect their sons' purity?

--------------------
The meaning of happiness is whatever you want it to be.

Posts: 23 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nope, but they have purity balls where sons promise not to "taint" a girls' purity. so the focus is still on the virginity of the GIRL.

(source: the purity myth by jessica valenti. which all of you should read!!)

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyV-NonPkid
Neophyte
Member # 48103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmilyV-NonPkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lilerse:
nope, but they have purity balls where sons promise not to "taint" a girls' purity. so the focus is still on the virginity of the GIRL.

(source: the purity myth by jessica valenti. which all of you should read!!)

I read that book. You should read it too. The whole concept of "virginity" is useless and non existent.

You should also read Full Frontal Feminism, Jessica's first book.

You might also want to read other sex lit books like Sex at Dawn and How Sex Works. Both books explain that virginity was imposed by human males when they began privatizing their property and therefore, controlling women.

[ 08-07-2010, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: askwhatyouneed ]

--------------------
Twitter

Posts: 12 | From: NY | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.