Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » GLEE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GLEE
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty in-love with this show. The Madonna episode a couple of weeks ago had a great part about first-time sex, and last night's episode had a really powerful message about homophobia and identity (though the show usually does something about identity and sexuality almost every week). If you haven't seen it, I'd definitely recommend it. So, anyone watch it and want to gab? Anything you especially like about it? Things you find problematic?

[ 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fizzy
Neophyte
Member # 47216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fizzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glee is so marvelous. It never fails to make me grin like an idiot.

One thing I don't like is that it tends to use a whole lot of stereotypes -- Kurt is a stereotypical effeminate gay boy, the football-playing jerks are stereotypical football-playing jerks, and so on. That's my only really big issue with it.

Last night's episode was incredibly amazing. What Finn did at the end... I keep having to remind myself that I shouldn't spoil it for everyone. It was just... so... awesome.

Also, all the boys (except Kurt) dressed like Kiss was kind of hot, in a weird way.

Posts: 9 | From: California | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Kurt's dad... made me cry. It was everything I've been trying to explain to people is wrong with using derogatory words like that, being said by a straight trucker dude. Just made my effin' life. I mean, I know he's just a character, but STILL. It was such a powerful moment. I was like "MY GOD, WHY CAN'T EVERYONE BE LIKE HIM". If only people who use that kind of language listened to this and took it to heart.

Gawd, Glee makes me so happy sometimes (okay, more like ALL the time).

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy this show, and I appreciate that they deal so much with issues like sexuality and identity, but I find the stereotyping really problematic and off-putting: most of the characters don't seem to have much depth to them, and everything about the high-school social world seems to be simplified a bit too much. And to be honest, I didn't really like the Madonna episode for the way first-time sex was portrayed. It felt like the writers and producers were hammering me over the head with the idea that first-time sex is such a Big Deal, especially for women, as well as the idea that sex has to have meaning.

I was also really irritated at the way sex seemed to equal penis-in-vagina intercourse. There was no mention made of any other kind of sex, and there was not a peep from Kurt on what virginity might mean to him as a gay man (as if sex is only for straight people? huh?)

To boot, the only female character who ended up actually having sex that episode was the one Latina, and she made it clear that she'd had several sexual partners....talk about stereotyping.

On the other hand, Kurt's experience coming out to his dad felt very authentic and realistic to me, and I love Kurt's dad as a character - doing his best to support his son even if it means changing the way he thinks about things. His confrontation with Finn almost had me in tears, and I found myself yelling "Yes! That! Exactly! Perfect!" at the television.

[ 05-26-2010, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fizzy
Neophyte
Member # 47216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fizzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Kurt's dad last night too. When he finished ranting at Finn, I started clapping. My family just kinda looked at me like I was crazy. I don't know why. It was a perfectly reasonable reaction on my part. =p
Posts: 9 | From: California | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are valid objections to the show's use of stereotypes. I think, though, that the show is purposefully engaging in stereotype, much like The Breakfast Club did, in order to subvert the stereotypes and show that people are more than just what they are labelled as. But I agree, they could be doing more with some of the characters, like Santana and Brittany. Most of the characters have had some kind of major development, but those two have received much less development up until now. I'm hoping that will change in the next few episodes, though.

And YES! Go Kurt's dad! He's really an awesome character, and that moment was so so good, too, in terms of writing and character development. It completely blew me out of the water when I was watching last night.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felixosaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a regular watcher, but from what I'm seen I totally agree with Karybu's points.

--------------------
www.criticalmasculinities.com

Posts: 42 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabeth_k_
Neophyte
Member # 31187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabeth_k_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to reply to Karybu's point on the stereotype of the Latina being portrayed as having many sexual partners, I feel that the show puts Brittany (I think that's her name) in more of that 'sleeping around' role.
Posts: 16 | From: Long Island | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watch the show occasionally and I really enjoy it; but I too find the stereotyping problematic. Although, perhaps the intent of the show is to demonstrate as many stereotypes as possible so that people will realize how ridiculous stereotypes can be. Someone may think, "I'm in a wheel chair, but that's not the only facet of my personality, hmm, maybe the black guy in my English class is more than just his race" or "I'm a foot ball player, but I'm not a jerk, maybe that guy we've been excluding for being gay is a good guy." By seeing how wrong the stereotype of something that applies to them may make some viewers criticize the other stereotypes as well. Or perhaps the characters are so flat so that they can fit within the parameters of the songs chosen.

I do, however, love, love, love how the majority of the story is told via song, it adds an element most shows are missing and appeals to our base tribal instincts (music was used much before language).

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.