Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » women-friendly erotica?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: women-friendly erotica?
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marigold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello,
I don't know, if we can talk here about things we haven't found yet, instead of certain books/movies/etc. Sorry if this thread crosses some line.

I haven't read erotica until recently, and altrough I know the one thing I will certainly find on the internet is sex, I'd like to ask for some help here.

The thing I've met with is a book of Alais Nin (something like that), and while it worked quite well (I'm not good at inventing fantasies yet), I couldn't (or didn't want to, by the way) stop noticing all the little malefic features of it.

Like that wanting sex for the women there 9 out of 10 cases equals wanting PVI, they always orgasm from that alone (so it makes the rest of them feel frigid and incomplete), and there's a lot of power inequality there, almost-rapes, idealized prostitutes, or sex scenes masked as something else, like a medical exam, so the "pacient" must trust the "doctor".

Now I can imagine, that BSM can be legit, for some people who has overcame their problems already, but I think, that in my case I might find these scenes attractive partly because they are given "in a package" with general sexyness, an on the other hand - because if one hadn't overcame yet completely her inhibitions, but wants to have sex, fantasysing about someone, who not just is perfect, but makes the decisions "good girls doesn't make" for her too, can feel like getting rid of a burden. Like one can remain passive and "innocent" and get the pleasures in the same time.

And of course this dynamic seems completely bullshit and antifeminist to me, so even if I will explore BSM one day out of some other motivation, I'd want to get completely comfortable with "vanilla" sex first. And I'm afraid, that reading the wrong kind of erotica would shape my fantasies and my sexuality in a way I don't want to.

It's so cool, that while I feel them slinghtly as turn-ons, I can also understand their real meanings, and where they come from, so I can make decisions. Thank you, Scarleteen, in helping in this. Again, there might be people mature enough to play with power, but I, as who I am now, wouldn't be doing this for the right reasons.

So, what kind of authors/sites/etc would you recommand me? Or what do you think about the topic, generally?

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Posts: 68 | From: slovakia | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marigold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ps: 1. the name of the topic might not be well chosen 2. sorry for the missing D-s (B...SM)
3 yes, I have read this. http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/working_the_kinks_out

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Posts: 68 | From: slovakia | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, Scarleteen just isn't really the place for referrals when it comes to sexual entertainment, particularly since when it comes to the web, anything we would link to would have a policy that states it's not for members of the age group we primarily serve.

So, what I'd suggest is either doing some google searching or to hit your local bookstore or Amazon.com. I do think it's okay for us to suggest authors, and in general both Rachel Kramer Bussell and Susie Bright edit by-women, for-women erotica anthologies every year: I know Rachel does several times a year, actually.

That all said, I'm a bit unclear about what else you're asking?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

hi, my question was unclear indeed - I was a bit puzzled between my own rejection of this kind of texts (with dominance in it), even it feels a bit attractive, and the recognition and right of people, who DO like that. But those two facts actually doesn't have to do anything with each other.

sorry for crossing a line, and thanks for the authors (/editors).

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it might help to recognize that with something like the Nin (someone I studied intensely back in college, by the way), a lot of what's missing in those kinds of narratives are the negotiation and awareness OF the dynamic that we'd expect -- and want, for it to be healthy -- to see in real-life sex of that ilk.

So, it might be that some of your conflicting feelings have to do with the difference between fantasy and reality?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.