Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Garfunkel and Oates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garfunkel and Oates
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really just a lark, but I'm so in love with these women, and the subjects they pick are all around dating, sex, reproduction.

(And yes, some of it pushes the envelope, but here's hoping you can appreciate the comedy all the same.)

Had to share:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uSw8XcWihs&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=groaPrY41Rk&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHBuQvUCLYs&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilOx2Jmm1r4&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPcBI4CJc8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJRzBpFjJS8&feature=channel

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dub thee dame Jill2000plus's new internet obsession. They are hilarious, I'd actually be willing to buy CDs, the last time I found a performance this spiffy on youtube was Sweetafton23 playing Tom Cruise Crazy on the ukulele.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cute! Some of the lyrics aren't entirely original, but I do like the songs and they have nice voices.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a few clips and enjoyed them, too, such as "Pregnant women are smug" (not that it's always true or even a bad thing at that!) [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note: I posted my first comment after seeing the first three videos, so the last one is new to me.

I'm not so sure about pregnant women are smug, they called her a female dog and a ho, that's the sort of language that's generally disallowed on this forum for good reason, and I'm not sure what's meant by the bit about "we don't care whether it's a boy or a girl as long as it's healthy", do they really mean they think that everyone should have a preference for a boy or a girl or that everyone does but just keeps it a secret, they'd have been better off critiquing the sex binary implicit in the question, the now foetus, possible future born homosapien may be intersexed or may be transgender. And saying you want a healthy baby doesn't mean you would be prejudiced against a disAbled child, it just means you want the child to have as many good experiences as possible and not to be experiencing lots of pain throughout life and to not die a few weeks after birth... what's wrong with that exactly? I agree that it's frustrating when somebody's all "I realise now my life was meaningless before I got pregnant", but not all pregnant women (or men, as happens on occasion) behave that way, I've known pregnant women who didn't behave that way at all, plus pregnancy is a huge thing that does impact on women's lives and it's understandable that they'll want to talk about it, women talk about their periods, their breast development, and other things that are going on with their bodies with their friends, so I don't see why pregnancy should be any different and far more deserving of criticism are non-pregnant partners that say things like "it's our baby" no, it's the pregnant partner's foetus, when it's born it will be an individual, stop acting as if this impacts on you anywhere near as much as the partner who's carrying the foetus inside of them.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jill2000Plus, I think the very point of these songs, namely "Pregnant Women are Smug", is that they are tongue-in-cheek and even criticize these statements or phrases in a joking way. They obviously do not *really* think pregnant women are those words at ALL (and for some people, the term Bitch is a possessive, repossessed word. Do you know the excellent, feminist Bitch magazine?)

Those questions and those answers, "I don't care as long as it's healthy" are typical questions and answers that people ask pregnant women. It's really none of their business for asking and those answers are somewhat of stopgaps. Likewise, it makes acknowledges that some people, despite claiming they don't care about the sex, *do* have gender preferences. But I assure you that most parents are not thinking "I'd disown a differently-abled or intersexed child, etc." when they answer that. They're just trying to shut the questioner up. People may ask different questions in the UK, but if you're around pregnant women occasionally in the US, you hear those questions/answers a bunch.

You certainly have the right to take these lyrics at face value and criticize them for what you're uncomfortable with but I'll also appreciate them for their (to me somewhat) witty humor and irony. [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Sorry, it's just that sometimes I'm not sure how many layers of sarcasm there are to peel away.

--------------------

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Hey, it's all good. [Smile] And, honestly, you raise a good point about the limits and boundaries of joking and what not... it can be some slippery territory!
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the "Steve" song. It's weird, because i feel like i can relate to it, even though I've never really been in that situation.

However, my boyfriend did go through a phase where he was always with a friend of his, and it really got on my nerves because every time we talked on the phone the friend would be there and i could never talk about things I didn't want to discuss around others.

Thankfully, they finished the project they were working on, so it's all back to normal now.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molweni
Activist
Member # 43654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molweni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Garfunkle and Oates.

However, in that song I did not think they were using b*** in an ironic way at all, I thought they were simply, as two young single women, making fun of pregnant women, specifically those who act as if their pregnancy makes them superior to other women

Posts: 47 | From: South Africa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI? I'm not sure we can assume either of these women are a) currently single and b) have never been pregnant. Not sure why anyone would, really.

You know, back when I was still making some music, I'd pen silly little ditties all the time about, say, things like how ridiculous folksingers were (being one myself) or how irritating vegetarians (also one, nearly lifelong) could be. Nearly all women have or have had the capacity to be pregnant at some time, so for all we know, some of that song is self-effacing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched several of these video clips on Youtube and favorite-d them immediately. Such a riot, and though they are for fun and parody, I think there are plenty of valid points in between all the fun-poking.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.