Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » The Ugly Truth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ugly Truth
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admittedly, I have not seen this movie, and actually probably won't.

But i did see a few commercials for it, and they nauseated me. It looks like they're just trying to reaffirm the myth that all men are completely devoid of any emotion or desire for anything but sex, and the only way a woman can be in a relationship is to accept that and become a magazine poster-girl.

I might be being a little judgmental since i haven't seen it. It's possible that in the end of the movie, they might even illustrate this myth as false.

Has anyone seen this movie yet? What do you think of the previews? Would you say my assumption is correct?

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telo
Neophyte
Member # 39041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for telo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching the trailer, I agree with your reaction.
It doesn't look like it's worth watching. A guy who sees women as only sex objects.. Not wasting my time on this one.

Posts: 14 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! maybe I'm just being a little touchy, but i find the little logo it has with the bathroom sign like stick people, with the woman's heart in her head and the man's in his crotch, almost offensive
Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a5542
Neophyte
Member # 41369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a5542         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree--I find it sad that actresses don't feel that there's anything wrong with playing these types of roles. It just perpetuates unfair stereotypes and unrealistic expectations for females.
Posts: 25 | From: somewhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

To be fair, i think that this movie might be even more biased towards males than females. Everything that you said about unrealistic expectations for females is true, but it seems like it's making men look like narrow minded jerks.
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently this had a $27 million opening. Just goes to show that people will fork over a ton of cash to watch crap. It's not just that the movie seems to engage in a lot of stereotype and sexism, but it doesn't look very original or funny, either. I just don't see what the difference is between this crappy "battle of the sexes" film and all the other ones just like it, so I really don't get why people are going out to the theater to see it. I mean, sure, occassionally I'll watch those awful movies with a few other people when they come on TV for free and there's absolutely nothing else on (or we just can't agree on anything else), but actually paying for it? Never.

For those who are interested, this is the trailer at Hulu, for those of you in the US, and this is the trailer at youtube. Be warned that this may induce feelings of nausea, annoyance, and a general hatred of Hollywood flicks.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devourer
Activist
Member # 42595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devourer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, every time I see that ad on TV it makes me strangely angry. I've learned to change the channel upon it's arrival.
Posts: 42 | From: the Californian coast! | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telo
Neophyte
Member # 39041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for telo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A group of my friends is having a girls night and this is the movie they've decided on.. I think I'm showing up late
Posts: 14 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marigold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, I just made a T-shirt pattern full with little wc-sign people, singles, couples and a triade, with little heart shapes put at their hearts or at their genitals.

It's a parody of the film's logo, and there are all the versions: guy wanting just sex and girl wanting a whole relationship, gay men in love, girl wanting sex and guy wanting more, a lesbian one night stand, single persons (I was thinking about drawing some simbol of masturbation too, but that would have made a bit too complicated to decypher the meaning)... Is anybody interested in this? If yes, where can I upload it? There are like 5 rows of people, so the pattern can cover one's whole chest and belly.

The only problem, other than not being accurate enough (Where are those polyamorists, who... - but it's not a lexicon!) might be the problem of representing assimetrical relatinoships, with one partner exploiting the feelings of the other, but I didn't want to promote that this was ok, just showing, that there are people with all kinds of motivations.

[Smile]

It's black and white / whatever color you transform it to.

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Posts: 68 | From: slovakia | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.