Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Media raising awareness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Media raising awareness
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a few examples of songs, movies that have helped raise awareness per a certain issue ? If so, what are those ?

I'm currently very much in love with the books '' The girl with the dragon tattoo'' (or Millenium or Men who hate women) and its trilogy and the movie that has just came out which is about abuse towards women and which is very feminist. I've read that a lot more women have decided to report sexual abuse in Sweden, where the movie has been made, after the book and movie came out which I think is just really awesome. It has just helped a lot of women being more open about this issue and has helped raise awereness per sexual violence.

I just think it's such an awesome thing to use movies or songs and such, even though it's not based on real life stories, to raise more awereness about important issues like that.

So, what are some examples that comes to your mind ?

[ 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic, cool! I have to think more about this. I can think of how my sister dyed her hair purple after reading and being so moved by The Color Purple. I love films now but I found music to have been and continue to be a deal part of my life, if in a different way now. I had a lot of respect for my favorite musicians and would listen to what they had to say over a politician any day! (You'll noticed I'm a quite far out of high school here; I like new music, too, but it's a bit different.)

It's not quite sex ed-related, but the Clash were my favorite band for years and their lyrics really provided a strong socio-political background and encouraged me to consider pacifism.

Feminist, riot grrl or other bands with a strong female presence such as Hole and Bikini Kill were important. I found Hole's lyrics to be very cathartic and was fascinated by Courtney Love's bold personality. I really wanted to be like her!

I loved the band Garbage with tough-as-nails-yet-also-vulnerable lead singer Shirley Manson; she sang about stuff that few mainstream singers did. When I got my period at the end of 13 for the first time, it was not happy news to me. However, cheesy as it may be, thinking about how she, too, probably had her period made having one not seem quite so bad. (Hey, I wasn't famous but it was one thing we had in common!)

I find Henry Rollin's openness about surviving sexual abuse while growing up to be meaningful. I think he breaks a lot of cliches in general and uses his fame for good causes; I know I listen!

Oh geez, please excuse the trip down musical memory lane. [Wink] I'll try to think of other influential movies and books. I have been rereading an old favorite book and find its take on the everchanging state of relationship and friendship dynamics to be really interesting and insightful but it's hardly a bestseller. (Well, perhaps back in 1802...)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annaleighclark
Neophyte
Member # 40679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annaleighclark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boys Don't Cry and Transamerica are two movies that have brought trans issues into the mainstream. Hillary Swank and Felicity Hoffman are AMAZING in them.

Philadelphia was one of the first mainstream movies to feature a protagonist with AIDS. Come to think of it, has there been one since?

The TV show Mad Men has elevated conversations about gender and race relations in "the good old days."

Posts: 7 | From: Detroit, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.