Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » 'Gossip Girl' is the problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Gossip Girl' is the problem
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/11/02/2008-11-02_gossip_girl_sex_and_the_city_other_risqu.html

...what? I understand the media we're exposed to does infuence us to a degree, but I think this is a tad ridculous. They do mention what other factors might play into this--family dynamics, grades, etc--but it still sounds silly to me, and I'm annoyed that they don't mention the social attitudes and taboos surrounding teen sexuality anyway, or how Abstinence Only 'Education' plays a part in this, etc.

Also, the study covered roughly 2,000 boys and girls. I don't want to stereotype, but I think girls (and likely girls older than twelve) are the ones watching 'Gossip Girl' and 'Friends'; and as far as I know, boy can't get pregnant. So perhaps this study merely says that older (and so more likely to be sexually active) girls happen to watch 'Gossip Girl'-type shows more than younger girls or boys of any age; after all, they are probably the target audience.

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Keeping up with the antics of Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester on 'Gossip Girl' could indicate a higher rate of pregnancy among teens.
Well, I'm glad they've found an alternative to pregnancy tests!

Ugh. One of my professors told me about this study earlier today (not in agreement with it, just about how ridiculous it was). I think the points you brought up are good ones. I haven't read the study myself yet, but I'm always a little uneasy about studies that make these kinds of conjectures from a few simple data. I think there are plenty of other possibilities that need to be considered before they can make that kind of statement. I agree that media can have a big effect on behaviors and thoughts, but in this instance I'm not ready yet to jump on that bandwagon and blame media entirely. We do have a pretty terrible education system in place which is obviously affecting the pregnancy and STI rates, definitely more than any TV shows could possibly affect them.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ara5
Neophyte
Member # 40951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ara5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now matter what, I am always amused by the US media. Quite frankly, by the US itself. We get a report in the 70's from 10 very reputable scientists that say we are increasing the world's temperature and that global warming is an actuality, and no one listens. But as soon as there's a study by some quack about cells phones and liver cancer, everyone is abuzz with that. So, US media= bad, BBC World news = good.
Posts: 4 | From: AZ | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think in the 1970s predictions of Globl Cooling, also from reputable scientists, were getting a lot more press than predictions of Global Warming; not to mention the cooling effects of aerosols were overestimated and the warming effects of greenhouse gasses were drastically underestimated, even by top scientists. We also know a LOT more about how earth's climate works today than we did thirty years ago. So it's not like the stupid Americans just weren't listning [Wink]

And I don't think all US media is rubbish; I still find the New York Times to be a fairly reputable source.

[ 11-04-2008, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: SnailShells ]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, it's totally ridiculous and I'm so irritated that this is front page news. People (people being the US, the media, whatever) are so eager to pinpoint blame on just about anything they can make a connection with when it comes to stuff like teen pregnancy. Instead of on the fact that they don't teach you how not to get pregnancy (besides abstinence) in school. Duh.

FTR, I was a "teen mom" and I have never even seen any of these shows they're talking about.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.