Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » beauty of menstruation and womanhood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: beauty of menstruation and womanhood
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi staff [Smile]

I just read the article "I being woman and suppressed", and it reminded me of a passage from Milan Kundera's "The Book of Laughter and Forgetting", where he quotes Annie Leclerc. When I read it, I felt really proud of my beautiful womanhood. Thought I'd share it with you:

Breast-feeding too is a joy, even giving birth a sensual pleasure and menstruating a delight, with that "warm saliva, that dark milk, that warm, syrupy blood flow, that pain with the scalding taste of happiness."

Have a nice day [Smile]

Nailo

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Kundera so, so very much.

I'd forgotten all about that quote, too: thanks for the reminder, Nailo!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kundera is hands down my favourite author. My Unbearable Lightness and "Laughter and Forgetting" are full of post its to mark my favourite passages. Here's another one, along those lines, about the character Edwige:

"She refused to acknowledge that a naked face is innocent and a naked behind shameless. She did not understand why the salty fluid that trickles from our eyes is sublimely poetic and the fluid we emit below our bellies is disgusting...

She was in fact much more natural naked than dressed, as if in rejecting her clothes she was also rejecting the difficult condition of womanhood in order to become simply a human being, without sexual characteristics. As if sex resided in clothes and nakedness were a state of sexual neutrality...

"Look, even old bodies, even sick bodies are beautiful as soon as they're only bodies, bodies without clothes. They're as beautiful as nature... Human ugliness is the ugliness of clothes."

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you so much for sharing that, Nailo! Now I know what I need to pick up for summer reading. [Smile]

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allik10
Activist
Member # 38302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allik10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading Kundera right now! Such wonderful summer reading [Smile] My boyfriend's favorite book is "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and whenever I miss him I pick up this book and read a few pages, I love his writing style... So beautiful..
Posts: 48 | From: USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being" is my favourite book too!! That's where the quote under my posts comes from [Big Grin] I have about 30 post its in that book. The narrator is so clever and the whole writing is so eloquent ^^ a MUST read. And now that we're talking about menstruation and womanhood and its suppression, my next favourite book is "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. I highly recommend it [Smile] .
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will check out this book you guys are talking about! I'm so glad you mentioned it because I'm always looking for a meaningful read that celebrates women.

I have to say, I cringed at first in "I Being Woman and Surpressed" because I am ashamed of all those things because that's the only way I've been taught--I mean, that's no excuse, but it just never even occured to me to think of it as anything by negative! This is an important message to get out there! I mean, if women just learned about this perspective, all women, it could be a huge step in women's mentality. I guess American culture is just not in tune with this attitude. I feel so much stronger now that I can think about this differently! It was a great work of writing.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylady
Neophyte
Member # 40138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes feel like the odd one out because I just feel indifferent to my period. It's not some celebration of my womanhood or shameful and disgusting. It's just my period. Shrug.
Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.