Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Book suggestions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book suggestions
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to do a presentation on a book in my Gender Communications class. It has to be a scholarly book on gender or gender relations or something along those lines. There are two other girls in my group and we all have to read the book and they have a lot of other classes + jobs + sports to do, so something under 250 pages would be best. Do you guys have any suggestions on something interesting? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually a pretty broad topic: gender studies is a pretty gargantuan field at this point. Can you get more specific on what area of gender studies you're looking to read up on?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what area exactly. I'm assuming something more related to gender communications since that's what the class is about. Deborah Tannen and Naomi Woolf seem to have some pretty interesting books (we've already read a little from "The Beauty Myth" in class and a few other excerpts from each of the authors). But I'm not limiting the ideas to just those two authors. Do you know of any good ones in that area?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deborah Tannen's work is fairly interesting and usually pretty widely available, so you might look at what she's got available. ("You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation", "You're Wearing That?: Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation", "Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work", etc.)

(You might also take a look at the readings or the text that you're using for that class and then search for some of the authors/resources listed there. Most college texts have a reference list at the back, so you might find some books listed back there. Also, many of the authors you see cited in the studies discussed in your text will have written books as well, so if you search their names you might find something interesting.)

If you're interested in something looking at the way gender works in the Greek system, I'd suggest "Inside Greek U: Fraternities, Sororities, and the Pursuit of Power, Pleasure, and Prestige" by Alan DeSantis.

Or, I'd suggest asking your professor either for suggestions or if you can borrow/look at the "Handbook of Gender and Communication" (Dow & Wood, Eds.) and then use that as a jumping off point to find other authors/books that you might like to read.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Thanks! That will work very well. I'll see what my library has and then bring it up to the other girls in the group. Thanks a ton! [Smile]

(Deborah Tannen had actually been talking about her book "You're Wearing That?: Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation" on the Colbert Report a few weeks back. It looked pretty interesting.)

[ 03-16-2008, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd actually suggest a more cornerstone piece, such as "Women's Ways of Knowing," which is pretty much where gender theory on differences in communication really got its start.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Thanks! My library has all of those books (except the most recent Deborah Tannen one) so I'll see which one the other groupmates want to go with. We were just going to do "The Feminine Mystique" or "A Vindication of the Rights of Woman" but I think these will make for more interesting reads and will be more likely to be relevant to the other students in class.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Carol Gilligan's "In a Different Voice" is actually what I was thinking of, though my other suggestion is very foundational for this, too. The Gilligan is also shorter.

(Sorry about that: wound up hitting a flash mob pillowfight in my neighborhood today and I think all those feathers flying and whacks to the head addled my brain!)

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

The library has that one, too. [Smile] I'm so happy my library actually has these books.

(Flash mob pillowfight??? Sounds like you have a pretty cool neighborhood. [Cool] )

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

(It's an awesome neighborhood, indeed. [Smile] )

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

(That is by far the coolest thing I've seen. I'm green with envy right now.)

--------------------

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My psychology professor had a get together with some of us researchy-type people at his place and his two daughters started a pillow fight with him (and all of us students couldn't pass up the chance to hit him a few times as well while he couldn't fail us). Afterwards we talked and he said that they do that regularly at his house because it's a super stress buster. So ... if all else fails I say grab a pillow and hit family or fellow townie.

We do all sorts of stuff like that living in a college town … but then again most of the older town members come and join in too. I think everyone’s just come to see it as normal college behavior … but at least we have fun.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.