Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Good Ads!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Ads!
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, I've been seeing a great ad around my city. It shows a ripe banana looking like an erect penis, and says that not all STIs are this easy to spot (you can see it here.)

I'm really glad that there are ads like this. People in general need to be better informed, and an ad campaign of this kind is a great start.

So, have you seen good ads of this kind (either on TV, at a bus stop, on a bilboard...)? Come share them here!

[ 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planned Parenthood Regina has great ads on the sides of our city buses. If you click on the "all the slogans and texts" link at the bottom of the page, they're all listed there. http://www.regina.cfsh.info/services.html#awareness

(I like the "F***, but don't get f***ed" one, as well as the "Chlamydia capital of Canada. Woo hoo!" I always get a kick out of them. They work, too...testing has gone way up. It's probably because they are so very upfront.)

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, those are really cool ads. I'm glad to see that they're effective too. There should be more of those around.

Do they have similar ads that are more women oriented? A lot of these seemed to be aimed more at men, though they generally could still apply to women.

Some questions for thought/discussion: Is it easier for advertisers to target men (in terms of imagery, language, etc)? Are they more targeted because they generally are believed to get tested less often than women? If you have one, what would your ideal ad look like?

[ 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, they do seem more directed toward men, and I do think it is partially to do with the ease of advertising men as opposed to women.

So many items can be seen as phallic (bananas, cigarettes, statues, what have you...), and so it's easier to use those more commonplace images to target men. To target women, it's perhaps not as easy to find items to represent the vagina or other parts of the female reproductive system, and because we don't see the inside of the vagina on a daily basis, it might not be something people would recognize, real image or replicated. Too, I think that infertility in women isn't something that is talked about as much as impotency in men. Impotency in men is also something society sees as, well, worse (more devastating?) for men than for women, in my opinion. Not that it IS worse, just...that's how our culture seems to view it.

Perhaps it is because yearly gyn exams for women are stressed (and I think there is an assumption by society that most/all women go to these appointments), and there really is no stressed equivalent for men, that it is generally believed that men get tested less often. I know that STI checks are not part of a normal pap unless requested, but I think people assume that's enough, perhaps.

It's a start (especially here...it's not quite so liberal as Seattle, where I'm from originally, but these ads are WAY more than we had there), and maybe the idea is if men are getting tested, their female partners are also starting to get tested, which is maybe a faulty assumption, but it is a possibility.

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really like this MTV ad for condom use. Making female assertiveness like this visible and accessible makes me very happy.

And this is a classic that never fails to make me giggle. [Smile] (You know that child actor had WAY too much fun doing that, no less.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(And on the men getting tested less often note, that's pretty much a known factor at this point. The average stat on that one most clinics report on average is that for every 11 women who get tested, one man does.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I REALLY love these two commercials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iATRoTxASwQ&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6krr40mdHM

I also love the one with the kid that Heather posted. Once when I was with my ex-boyfriend at the grocery store, we actually saw a screaming child and bought condoms right then and there.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The titles of these says "Banned".. and I've never seen these ones on TV.. Can we get them un-banned? [Smile]

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

I actually find that commercial with the pigs really offensive. It suggests (or blatantly says) that men evolved, or need to evolve, from pigs. There are many decent men out there, and I dare say, there are as many nasty women as nasty men (but where's that representation?). I'm surprised and disgusted that idea even made it to filming.

--------------------

PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(The comments under many of these vids are shocking!)

I dno, this campaign is just trying get people to think that anyone without a condom is or should be as unattractive as the depicted pigs, and is one step behind in terms of development. I didn't think the piggishness was meant to refer to nastyness, just not-having-condom-ness. It's just directed to men, because that's who they want to buy their condoms, and in terms of sexual health they're the ones who can do the most about wearing one.

It is, I admit, a bit narrow, but it is only a slot of a few secconds.

I think it is a bit sad that the only way they deem powerful enough to convey all this is threatening guys that they might not get laid. It just assumes selfishness, which kinda encourages it imo...

I like the ones that give a lot more emphasis on actually caring about your partner. In which case why expose both of you to a risk, especially when hers are so much higher. (To women it's pretty good, highlighting rejection as an important resource!).

Anyone ever seen a same-sex-sex condom ad? THAT would be good.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not exactly a same-sex condom ad but its pretty awesome... The New Zealand AIDS Foundation puts on a contest called "Safe Sex Poster Boys"-

"The aim of the Safe Sex Poster Boy contest was to reinforce condom culture among gay and bisexual men in New Zealand, in recognition of rising rates of HIV. One gay or bisexual man was diagnosed with HIV every five days during 2006"

http://www.safesexposterboy.co.nz/

When i watched the entrants videos it really made me question the stereotypes i have about how i expect gay men to look/act. They've chosen a good variety of gorgeous guys and i think they were brave to include people who already had HIV. One guy had a dad who had died of AIDS.

And they all have a commitment to using condoms. One man says he hasnt had sex since april because alot of people want unsafe sex and hes not for it.

Also cool how their posters say condom + lube = safe sex AND pleasure.

Go NZ :-)

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol those are cute ads!

I love this commercial for flavoured condoms its so funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyxGf4EBHUI

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one always cracks me up [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro-mXyA0MCI

A little male-minded, but the way it's presented is
pricelss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fiQ502n3Rw&feature=related

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I crack up uncontrollably at this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U219eUIZ7Qo

Also, this French ad apparently likens sex without a condom to getting done by a ginormous tarantula.

http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/aides_spider.jpg

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

This commercial for the Clearblue pregnancy test really amuses me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqX7VxW3wL0

[ 06-15-2008, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.