Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Juno

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Juno
thismoment
Activist
Member # 36078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thismoment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen this film? I think it's only come out quite recently here in England, but I presume America got it before us?

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuN0Z65sp5c

Just wondering what people's thoughts on it were, really. Even though it's projected/ marketed as being a comedy, and there were comical moments, I'd say that beneath that was a pretty serious 'oh ****, what's happening?' type feeling... maybe this was made more so by my watching it with two other females, also hoping that their birth control didn't fail... so yeh, it made me a little awkward.

There's an interesting interview with the actor who plays the main character in The Guardian, here http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/interviewpages/0,,2249904,00.html

Excerpt: '"People judge you left, right and centre, and you see people judging other people because they are a size four [an eight in the UK] and it is disgusting." She has no time for gossip magazines. "They just make you feel like crap and make you go out and buy things to fill that void. They propel the consuming machine," she says. "We all have our insecurities. I would like to say, 'Oh, I don't care what people say about me.' And to a certain extent, I don't, I reeeally don't. But as a young person it's like, come on. And it's not like guys don't get it at all, but women are sooooooo harshly judged."'

One of my friends showed me the article, which he thought was pretty cool - quite pro Feminist, you know?

Posts: 79 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, you might want to take a look at these [Smile] :

Juno: film review

http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/001185.html

[ 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earthtobellax
Neophyte
Member # 40220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earthtobellax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I'd say it was a decent film.
I personally felt there were things that could've been altered.

.The tone of the movie was obviously light, seeing as it was labeled a comedy. However, I still feel unplanned pregnancy is a serious issue. Whether you abort, give birth, put it up for adoption, etc. The first time you find out your pregnant, esp. as a teenager like the main character Juno, it would be somewhat frightening or overwhelming. They didn't touch on this too much though. They made it in my opinion, WAAY too jokey and lighthearted in the first few moments of the big news. To the point that it was highly unrealistic.

.They DID, however, give Juno a very strong, opinionated personality throughout the movie's events which I admired. She was never the typical "damsel in distress". I felt I could relate to her in several moments, & generally just enjoy her personality seeing as it was very fresh and outside the average "weak" "fragile" roles many women in films today perceive.

Posts: 14 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.