Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Books on Gender

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books on Gender
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 5 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pursuing a bachelor's in sociology and have been reading some interesting books, but none of them deal with gender. I read a really good study on gender roles and how society constructs gender. Since then, I've been wanting to read some more books or studies on gender. I tried looking through Barnes and Nobles, but I got a little pissed since a lot of the books just sounded sexist against women and seemed to only endorse society's views on gender. Does anyone have any suggestions of GOOD books on gender and gender roles?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest starting with Judith Butler -- Gender Trouble would likely be the best one to start with.

(I presume you mean gender rather than biological sex?)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I do mean gender rather than biological sex. [Smile] I'd read Judith Lorber--"Night to His Day: The Social Construction of Gender" last year and it fascinated me. So I guess that'd be gender identity? My college only offers one course in gender and it's only in the summer, which my scholarship doesn't cover. [Frown]
Thanks for the book suggestion! Any other ones? [Smile]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a look at Butler's book on Barnes and Noble's website and came across another one of hers.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9780415969239&pwb=1&z=y

Do you know if it's any good?
(And thanks for the help. I've been wanting to explore this subject more for a while but didn't know where to begin. Thanks for taking the time to give suggestions.)

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very good, IMO. That'd have been the other I'd suggest.

And if you do want to also look into issues of biological sex as well, I'd suggest looking into Dr. Anne Fausto-Sterling's work (we share the same publisher now, which is thrilling as hell to me, because the woman is a freaking genius). "Sexing the Body" is more about biological sex, and "Myths of Gender" bring it all together.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felixosaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
I'd suggest starting with Judith Butler -- Gender Trouble would likely be the best one to start with.

START with Gender trouble?! That book's crazy written! I'm not that fluent in psychoanalysis so it was very confusing for me. but well worth the struggle. Bodies that matter (also by butler) is also great. Reading someone who analysis' Butler is good.

+1 on Fausto- Sterling

Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality (vol. 1) is an important work - contentious among feminists but undeniably important.

Some of my other favourites are

Robert Connell's Gender & Power

Susan Bordo; The male Body, a new Look in public and private and Unbearable weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body,(about eating disorders) is great - Bordo is an amazing writer, easy to read and funny.

Gayle Rubin, especially - "Thinking Sex: Notes for a Radical Theory of the Politics of Sexuality - is a really good introduction.

I majored in gender studies a while back, and a bit of a nerd - I mainly looked at bodies, masculinity and sexuality - these are what i can think of off the top of my head, if you need any more/more focussed suggestions email/PM me and I'd be happy to think up some other suggestions [Smile]

[ 05-07-2009, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Felixosaurus ]

--------------------
www.criticalmasculinities.com

Posts: 42 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annaleighclark
Neophyte
Member # 40679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annaleighclark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out:

Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism & the Scapegoating of Femininity, by Julia Serano (a biologist and trans woman, she has fascinating ideas on gender)

Backlash, by Susan Faludi - a classic

Women, Race & Class, by Angela Y. Davis

The Beauty Myth, by Naomi Wolf (her other writing is hit and miss, but this book of hers is worth reading)

Posts: 7 | From: Detroit, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felixosaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few more.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Kate Bornstein's excellent and readable Gender Outlaw

also, speaking of Susan Faludi - Stiffed, a look at American masculinity in the 20th centrury is a enjoyable, readable piece with some good arguments.

--------------------
www.criticalmasculinities.com

Posts: 42 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.