Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Spring Awakening on stage in NYC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spring Awakening on stage in NYC
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I read the German play 'Frühlingserwachen' (Spring Awakening) by Frank Wedekind. Written in 1891, it's astounding how up-to-date and pertinent the subject matter, teenage sexuality being "repressed" by societal surroundings, is nowadays. I'd wanted to mention it here at Scarleteen, but wasn't finding an easily accessible English translation to cite.

But that wait over because it’s now a Tony-nominated musical on Broadway!

Here are the Wikipedia articles on the play and musical. Is anyone familiar with the original play or musical? If so, what was your impression? If you haven't, would you be interested in seeing the drama, should it be come to a town near you?

[ 05-16-2007, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houston46
Neophyte
Member # 33878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houston46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw the musical, and it was AMAZING! Duncan Sheik's music really connected with the audience. I read the play afterwards, and I was less impressed with it, maybe just because it didn't have the same musical and visual effects, but in either form, it's definitely something that teenagers should be seeing.
Posts: 27 | From: Suburbia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houston46
Neophyte
Member # 33878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houston46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw the musical, and it was AMAZING! Duncan Sheik's music really connected with the audience. I read the play afterwards, and I was less impressed with it, maybe just because it didn't have the same musical and visual effects, but in either form, it's definitely something that teenagers should be seeing.
Posts: 27 | From: Suburbia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea! Glad that you saw it and glad that you liked it, chupsikina! I'd not the biggest fan of musicals, but your enthusiastic vote (versus some random NY theater critics) for the play is convincing enough for me to now actually go see it on stage. [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElevenEleven
Neophyte
Member # 33352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElevenEleven         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the play and seen the show, and I enjoyed both very much. They're both a bit melodramatic at times, but they clearly show the consequences of not educating teenagers about sexuality openly and honestly. It's sad that a play written to address a social problem that was occurring more than a hundred years ago is still relevant today. But I suppose that's why the show has been so successful, and hopefully it will make an impact on people who haven't given the issue of comprehensive sex ed much thought.

As for the music and performance, I thought most of the actors were excellent (one of them actually made me cry; he was the actor who won the Tony), and all could sing very well. The lyrics weren't that great, but the music was upbeat, angry, energetic and fun. All in all, it's a good show with a great message. See it. [Smile]

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spring Awakening is something that will always be quite special to me for a number of reasons.

I'm an actress myself, so I like going to shows. A teen theatre group did the actual play, not the Broadway version, in the spring of 2008, and I went to see it. At the time I was struggling to come to terms with my sexuality and how it affected me. I'd only recently started becoming aware of my hormones and everything that goes along with them, and frankly, it was alarming me a bit. I had recently started masturbating, and so was also sorting out my feelings on that.

Spring Awakening was, well, an awakening of sorts. It dealt frankly with subjects that the media and myself tended to shy away from, and pushed a lot of things into the light. I came to some realizations and felt better about myself. Recently I watched the Broadway version on Youtube, and have become mildly obsessed by it. What a truly fantastic piece of writing.

The actors were excellent. There's a lot of dialogue, but they handled it brilliantly, and all turned in moving, nuanced performances. The one character who stood out above all the others was Moritz. I was thoroughly fascinated by him, and the actor's soulful, tortured portrayal. He left quite an impression on me. My biggest disappointment with the Broadway version is that for the first part of it, Moritz is played more for comic relief and isn't nearly as interesting.

Well, time went by. In the summer I happened to see a guy walking towards me down the street, and he looked familiar. As he came level with me I realized it was Moritz! I had a moment of "OMG it's him! I should say something...Nooo, that'd be embarrassing. But...maybe I should....or...." By that point he had walked past me and was gone.

Then I met him at a little New Year's party. Turns out one of my friends knew him. I hesitantly introduced myself and asked if he had been in Spring Awakening. He seemed so nice and easy to talk to, and we hit it off well. My friend and her boyfriend started inviting me to hang out with them every few weeks, and Moritz was always part of the group. By the second time we hung out, I realized that I liked him, and didn't entirely what to do about that, since I'd never seriously liked anyone before.

Well, long story short, we got to know each other quite well over six months. He was polite, respectful, thoughtful, and extremely cute. He listened to what I had to say, and always had an interesting perspective. After school finished, I invited him to hang out with me a few times. Then he asked me out, and I delightedly said yes. We've been going out for two months, and I'm happy and in love. He's amazingly respectful and kind, and we have a really good rapport, and never at a loss for good conversation.

So yes. Spring Awakening is near and dear to my heart.

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.