Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » A critical book on hooking up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A critical book on hooking up
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a writer at the Washington Post named Laura Sessions Stepp whose writing I really dislike. She writes exposé-style pieces on young women's current state of relationships and sex (which would be salacious and unhealthy.) I find her articles to be inaccurate and often downright sexist. I'm honestly a bit surprised that a liberal newspaper like the Post prints her writing; then again, the pieces are controversial and that's good for readership.

In the aforementioned review of her new book, Unhooked: How Young Women Pursue Sex, Delay Love, and Lose at Both, however, she gets her just desserts.

Some quotes from Stepp's book, intended to be read by mothers and daughters, include:
quote:
He will seek to win you over only if he thinks you're a prize.

Your body is your property. . . . Think about the first home you hope to own. You wouldn't want someone to throw a rock through the front window, would you?

Have you heard of this book and are you planning to read it? Have you read any other articles by her? Do you think "she took the words out of my mouth", "right message, wrong wording", or "no way, sister!"? What's your opinion?

[ 02-14-2007, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may possibly have read an article by her. The one I am thinking of was on whether the "hookup culture" was or was not truly prevalent and endorsed by young women in New York. I just remember that I thought it was overall a poorly written article, and quoted a few women just saying that most people they knew weren't "slutty" or something like that. So if that was her article that I'm thinking of, I didn't like it.
Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, dig that snappy heterosexism!

Seriously? I just love how obvious people make their biases sometimes, and how when they're SO deep, they don't even realize how silly they make them sound.

Who knew all women were heterosexual and would choose to partner with men in the first place! Who knew that sex was like having a rock thrown through your window! And who's surprised that when it IS literaly trespass of your body, here's yet one other person putting the blame on women for it?

The really nutty part is that this is a practical logic 101 lesson: you can't sensibly argue that sex and the female body/self should not be a commodity while syaing quite clearly that it IS, you just need to be sure to commodify it in the RIGHT way.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, direct review of this here, btw.

(The cover is also pretty darn ironic. Complain about sexualization and objectifying women, but have the photo on the cover be of a girl taking her top off? The hell?)

[ 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting -- thanks for the link!

quote:
Quote from the review:
Her solution is for women to exit the bar scene altogether, go home, and attract a loving boyfriend by honing their baking skills. “Guys will do anything for homemade baked goods,” she chirps

Hmm, I suppose I should stop wondering if I truly want a relationship with him or not and instead spend more time baking him* cookies!!

*male, of course.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I...bake cookies TOGETHER! I assume this means that we're perverted. [Wink]
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selkie
Activist
Member # 33078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Selkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ErinK, I'm here reading this, thinking mm interesting, don't really know much about this, then I read your post... ^.^, that comment really helped make my day...

ps- do you play games together? yes? oh dear, thats even WORSE!!! [Razz]

--------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer"
-Don't be afraid.

Posts: 117 | From: I'd prefer to keep it private | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.