Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Book Review: The Body Project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book Review: The Body Project
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little background--for my Senior Seminar, I'm doing a paper on the cultural images of Menstruation from 1900-2000. In my initial research, I came across a book, so I picked it up from the library.

This book is called the Body Project, by Joan Jacobs Brumberg, and it is fabulous. It's got me thinking about a lot of different things, and many of the issues are the ones we deal with here every day on Scarleteen.

The chapters, such as Sanitzing Puberty and the Disapperance of Virginity, are wonderfully written. She includes what I'd call direct sources, such as the diaries of young girls and their thoughts on different things. It's a rather narrow book, seeing as it focuses mainly on white, middle class American girls. For the purposes of my paper, this will turn out to be fine, as they're the biggest audience the advertisements target.

What really got me going was her last chapter, that closes it up. She discusses the differences between Victorian teenage life and modern teenage life, and the pros and cons of each. With modernity, you have your knowledge, and your sexuality is available to you. But through her research, she contends that it is also available to the world, and suppports this with journal entries from modern girls who now, instead of writing in uninformed euphamisms, now write of sexual harrasment.

I highly reccomend this book for anyone wishing to get a history on why it is this subject is treated this way, according to the white middle class suburban America. The author acknowledges that there are differences for those who don't fit that catergory, and does discuss it a bit, but that was not the focus of her book.

If you like her, she also wrote Fasting Girls: The History of Anorexia Nervosa and Mission for Life: The Judson Family and American Evangelical Culture.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this a few years ago, and lovedlovdloved it.

(Btw, Caylin, if you need more sources for that paper, I could point you to a few folks, just drop a line.)

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.