Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Guide to Getting It On!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guide to Getting It On!
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered a new, really cool thing about my job. We get books from publishers to review. I guess people who write about sexuality really like it when health departments give their books an endorsement.

Well, I snagged the Guide to Getting It On from the bookcase today. I'll let you know what I thought of it. It's a pretty common book; I've seen it in lots of stores. So if anyone's got a copy, let us know what you think.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I have this book, I was reading it last night. It's very informative. It tells you about the history of the bra, to what to tell your kids about sex.
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does heteronomrative mean? You've confuzzled me with the big words. [Smile]

[ 09-10-2006, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heteronormative refers to society's tendency to normalize *only* heterosexual relationships as valid. It's a lack of recognition to other types of relationships (homosexual, pansexual, etc.)

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wait. now I'm confused. What's pansexual?

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NP.

Pansexual is a term used to describe people whose base of attraction applies to all genders, for instance, to transgendered and interegdendered people, rather than just cisgendered men and women or XX's and XY's.

Some people also prefer pansexual to bisexual simply as a means of reinforcing that binary notions of sex and gender are flawed.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably getting sick of this now, but in all honesty I don't know what NP stands for or what cisgendered means. Sorry...

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NP - no problem
Cisgendered: someone who is not transgendered, who is born a gender, and remains that gender all their life.

(All three terms are easily found in greater detail on Wikipedia, and if you wanna discuss them, there's space in Gender Issues for a topic on gender and labels.)

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Thanks. And sorry, Gumdrop Girl, I guess we kind of screwed up your thread. Let's talk about the book. I haven't read it, but it sounds good. Who else wants to comment? [Big Grin]

--------------------

mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop girl, that has seriously got to be like the coolest job ever. Do you even get to read them during work? (Not that it isn't cool either way...) How often do you get new books to read?

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.