Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » interesting book

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: interesting book
pix
Activist
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
while i was away for the summer, staying at a cabin with friends of ours, i read a book that belonged to their 13yr-old daugter. it was called "Dancing Naked." it's a fairly short novel, but i think it touches on a lot of problems that are faced by sexually active teens.

it is aimed at teens and written at a lower younger reading level, and shows some of the consequences of sexal activity.(unfourtunately i can't recall much, if any reference to STDs...) i think the girl was sixteen, and had had sex with her boyfriend, her first time. they had worn a condom, but something had gone wrong and she ended up pregnant. she then had to go through many decisions that any pregnant teen would have to go through.

i think it gives a valuable lesson on what sort of things should be thought about before intercourse, in a way that can be somewhat connectable to the reader. it also touches on the issue of homosexuality. Part of what makes this book great is that it is written so that younger people can read and really get a grasp of it. it's aimed at them.

i don't know if this is really pertinent to anything, just thought i'd share it!

Posts: 109 | From: canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading another interesting book -- Schoolgirls by Peggy Orenstein. I know it was mentioned long ago, but since most of us are back to school, it bears another look. Orenstein observed and spoke with a number of eighth grade girls, trying to figure out what they were going through and how that affected their self esteem. It's a really easy and interesting book to read if you have the time, and are concerned about the gender gaps in schools. I could relate to alot of the things that the girls in the book talked about. It comes highly recommended.
Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.