Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » The Man Show!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Man Show!!!
Biker_Boy
Neophyte
Member # 10656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biker_Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find a good Fourm to post this in sorry...
Does anyone here watch the man show on comedy central? Is there information right or totaly wrong???
I think it's funny and learned some info from watching.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoo, if you're trying to learn something from The Man Show, you're WAY misguided. It's funny to some folks (it gets a lot of ppl's knickers in a knots though, because it's misogynistic to many folks), but it is not intended to be informative. it is entertainment, and a lot of the things they say on that show have little or no basis in reality.

another thing, it's been cancelled. Jimmy's got his own show now on ABC.

so instead of trying to learn (the wrong things) from The Man Show, head back to the front page of this site and start reading the articles. We tell it like it REALLY is and we take pride in making our info as accurate as possible.

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Sexual Ethics and Politics.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you serious? Hopefully this is some kind of joke. Example: They go to an airport and set up a booth that "aims to stop womens' 'suffrage'"....great that's so funny (please note my severe tone of sarcasm).

These two guys are chauvinists and I can't believe they had their own show once. What info could you possibly learn from this show? Perhaps how to be a sexist pig who is always drunk, thinks that women are sex objects and likes to to make fun of people with physical disabilities.

[This message has been edited by herecomestheson (edited 02-01-2003).]

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty surprised that ABC is putting Jimmy on every night. I would have though that he's already alienated too many people for a network to take a shot with him. Then again, I suppose most late-night TV viewers are men.

I've never watched a full episode of the Man Show. I've watched about 5 minutes in total, and that's all I could take. herecomestheson is right, the two hosts are both pigs who don't deserve my attention.

------------------
"And when I'm gone, she'll never leave me. No, no she'll never, be untrue. And buddy if you do not believe me, you don't believe the sky is blue."
-Joel Plaskett, Down at the Khyber

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching it as I type. It's pretty dumb, but I think that's sort of the point. At the moment, it's all about jizz-jokes, Asian-chick-jokes, and go-go dancers with Scorpions music (go-go dancers and Scorpions music are always cool, anyway). Most of the humour seems to be sexual in nature; the show isn't exactly violent, and seems no worse than a lot of bad TV, though honestly, I think it's more offensive to men than women.

Incidentally, the Boy on the couch seems to be enjoying it a good bit, maybe especially because he's recognizing half-dressed chicks on the show that he went to school with.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

But now is a chance to shine
And have the pleasure of saying what you mean
Have the pleasure of meaning what you sing

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 02-03-2003).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hotlittleangelbi
Neophyte
Member # 11843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hotlittleangelbi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think the women on the shoes are disrespecxtful to their womenhood and theirselves.they are not showing their bodies to say"hi im beautiful"!they are trying to say
men men look at me im nearly naked

Posts: 39 | From: cary,nc,usa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
' . . . And I'm getting paid for it!'

Everyone has their reasons for what they do; two-thirds of LA, if not more, is here because they want to do exactly what we're talking about. My point? There's nothing wrong with it.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You people don't get it. All the girls in here saying that its disrespectfu lto women need to stop
Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why? If you want to discuss this, you're welcome to, but you need to expand your thoughts a little more than that.

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

I think exactly one female said that, you know. And why is it the women who shouldn't be expressing that? Does it not extend to guys too?

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Expressing what?
Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I accidently submitted it before I was done writing. What I meant was that women should stop saying "It's disrespectful to all women". If a women wants to do that with her life, then its her choice. If men want to watch a show with half-naked owmen dancing around, then they can watch the show. I'm tired of girls saying the Man Show is a bad show jsut because of the women and the fact that its perverted. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it, but don't criticize other people who do. Besides, its called The Man Show for a reason.

------------------
If you can't say something nice, then don't say something nice.

Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

So, if I want to start a show called "The White Show" that features racist stereotypes of black people, Asian people and Arab people, that would be okay, too, I suppose?

------------------

icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

There all ready is a show like that. It's called Chappelle's Show. The thing is, it would be okay, because if you don't like it you don't have to watch it. If you don't watch it, you really shouldn't say bad htings about it. It's a show made for men. Women shouldn't criticize it. Men like what men like, and you need to respect that.

------------------
If you can't say something nice, then don't say something nice.

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Got anymore information about this, 'Chappelle's Show'?

------------------

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Okay, I just ran a search on it. See, the thing about that show is that it seems to star a black man. That's the exact opposite of what I asked you about.

If a white man were the star (and the show was written, conceived, produced, etc. by white people) would that be okay?

------------------

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Hey, I like a lot of things men like (pizza, bad rap music, GTA4 . . .), but that doesn't mean I like *everything* that's associated with guys. It also doesn't mean all men like the same things as other men, or what they're expected to like. Having breasts and a vulva doesn't mean I'll necessarily like makeup, Cosmo, or cheesecake. Having a penis doesn't necessarily dictate -- or justify -- having certain preferences either. Sex (in the sense of being male or female) really only dictates what our bodies will be like, and what our role will be in reproduction, should we choose to reproduce. Everything else is up to us, as individuals, to define for ourselves.

------------------

herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
Everything else is up to us, as individuals, to define for ourselves.

…And I don't think anyone is debating the fact that everyone has a right to their own personal preferences. I think we’re debating about the fact that two sexist men happen to have a show, not their right to have one. I accept the fact that there are murderers, rapists, racists, etc in the world, but the fact that they have the same right to preference as the rest of us doesn’t make their actions right. The same thing goes for two bigoted men who once had a show in which the exploration into the stereotype of “the average joe man” was well received by a predominantly male audience. I accept the fact that people enjoy this humour, and that some live the lifestyle similar to the show’s lead cretins. I think when people can't acknowledge the fact that the amusement and entertainment they get from these types of shows simply derives from cheap sexism and crude jokes that there’s an issue to be brought up.

So does that mean people have the right to define themselves as boorish, uneducated simians who make their living off out-of-date sexism and the moral degradation of the opposite sex (not to mention televise it to millions of people)? Absolutely. Of course they can. Their right to preference doesn’t make their preference laudable though.

herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

'icantthinkofaname': I am not that surprised, just annoyed, that people still say terms such as "men like what men like" and most likely believe it. Are you saying that The Man Show is what every single man in the world is like? That what one male likes is completely parallel to the next? Clarification please.

'Dzuunmod': I mostly agree with what you have to say on topics, but just because one race contributes humurous stereotypes towards their own race...that doesn't make it "not-racist". I'm not sure if I misunderstood your post, but I was under the impression that you were saying it was more acceptable for a black person to poke fun at his race than a white person. I disagree, I think both are inacceptable. Sure there's long standing race related issues that can be brought up but that's the way I feel.

[This message has been edited by herecomestheson (edited 04-19-2003).]

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

If you look at everything straight-up, without context, then sure, you're going to think that a black person making fun of black people is just as bad as a white person making fun of black people.

But there's a whole world that surrounds this stuff. In our society, the overwhelming majority of discrimination is practiced by the groups that have power, against those which do not. In that context, a white person making fun of black people comes off as much, much worse than a black person making fun of black people. Do you see that at all?

------------------

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a show made for men. Women shouldn't criticize it. Men like what men like, and you need to respect that.

And why shouldn't women criticize it, if they want to?

If people are allowed to express sexist stereotypes on TV, then other people (female and male alike) should certainly be allowed to criticize them. "Freedom of expression" cuts both ways.

And "what men like" is as diverse as individual men are, and it's certainly not some cosmic mystery which mere women are unable to comprehend . Some men find "The Man Show" stereotyped and obnoxious just as some women do - as a matter of fact, some of the people who've been criticizing it most vociferously in this thread happen to be male.

If you think about it, the attitude that you're expressing, which seems to be basically that "all men are sexist and that's how life is so people just have to accept it", could be seen as a very negative view of men.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen, or heard of, Chappelle's Show, so I can't comment on that directly, but the debate does remind me of those that happened when a program called "Goodness Gracious Me" was first on over here. It was made by Asian (meaning Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, etc. which is what the term usually means over here) comics, and on the surface, if you hadn't payed much attention to it, seemed to be racist against Asians. However, what it was actually doing was making fun of the stereotypes held towards Asians, and was therefore anti-racist.
Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
Incidentally, the Boy on the couch seems to be enjoying it a good bit, maybe especially because he's recognizing half-dressed chicks on the show that he went to school with.

I'm the proverbial Boy-on-the-couch, and I've been widely known for laughing at the tomfoolery I've seen on bad TV shows.

I might pose a quick question here though. How many of ye who have posted here have actually seen a few episodes of this show? Come on, let's see some hands.

The reason I ask this is because I think some of us might be missing a point here. The Man Show is an equal-opportunity humiliator. There isn't a race, gender, ethnic group, religion, creed, or belief system they don't make fun of. You may see one skit where they poke fun at TV channels geared towards women, while the very next skit pokes fun at a bunch of overweight guys watching a football game with a beer in hand. There are faux commercials for feminine hygiene products followed by mock commercials for male hair-replacement therapy. There are fake commercials for a proposed remake of "Shaft" with a white main character, and fake trailers for a new version of "CHiPs" with black main characters. And on and on it goes.

The entire point of this show is that it is a satire. It is neither meant to be taken seriously, nor meant to speak as the universal voice for all men. If one watches the show, one begins to get the picture that the whole concept of the show is to poke fun at the so-called male culture. One begins to notice how truly ridiculous the depicted "average Joe" is for eating potato chips with one hand, holding a beer in the other, and balancing the TV remote on his knee while flipping between football and basketball games. One begins to notice how ridiculous the "average Joe" is for blowing fifteen-hundred dollars in Las Vegas while keeping a sharp eye out for the much-ballyhooed "perfect babe." One begins to notice how ridiculous the "average Joe" is for filling his days with mindless tv and mind-numbing booze, all while wondering why girlfriends never seem to stick around.

The show is simply a dose of Men Behaving Badly, all wrapped up into a mediocre television program. It is nothing more, it is nothing less. It is not indicative of the sort of behavior that all men exhibit, nor is it indicative of the impending downfall of Western civilization. It thrives off the sort of controversy that threads like this feed, and it serves only to get people peeved enough to take notice of it. In light of that, if you are someone who finds things like this offensive, outright ignoring the program is probably the best way to go. That way, not only will you not add to the show's ratings, but you won't encourage others to take a quick gander either!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PBOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

You know, herecomestheson, I wasn't arguing with you. My post wasn't in reply to anything you'd said, to be quite honest. I think sometimes we read more than was intended into certain posts. Not everything that happens in the political forums is a debate.

------------------

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

But Dan, what the show doesn't have, is oiled-up buff men engaged in Greek wrestling (or whatever the male equivalent of babes on trampolines) is.

Body image is a pretty sticky issue for many women (if not the vast majority) and crap like The Man Show certainly helps women along the road to insecurity.

------------------

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
But Dan, what the show doesn't have, is oiled-up buff men engaged in Greek wrestling (or whatever the male equivalent of babes on trampolines) is.

Actually, and this is almost hard to believe, there is an episode which features oiled-up buff men clowning around. And the show makes fun of them too.

quote:
Body image is a pretty sticky issue for many women (if not the vast majority) and crap like The Man Show certainly helps women along the road to insecurity.

And those are people who should not watch the show. We have a choice what to take in and what to turn off. Those who do not find such a show humorous are certainly well within their right (and, I'd say, eoncouraged) to flip to something more appetizing. There is no shame in that at all.

We've enough threads about body image here to show that it isn't something only women are concerned about. The aforementioned oiled-up-buff-dude segment was the show's way of poking fun at the image of the big, strong, manly man as the only way for a man to be. And the same goes for the women on the show. They are lampooned just as the men are, irrespective of how they look.

When the entire intent of a television program is to shock and offend people, it can't be unexpected when it accomplishes that goal. Those who are offended by it are free to turn it off, and those who like to laugh at stupid things are free to watch it. Perhaps we do a disservice when we make too much out of an otherwise unremarkable television program.

------------------

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Do you really think that the entire intent of the show is to shock and offend, Dan? I wouldn't be so sure, and I certainly wouldn't be sure that the audience takes it that way. Do you really think that the audience for The Man Show is mostly made of sophisticated types like yourself who deconstruct the show like you've done?

------------------

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

quote:
Do you really think that the audience for The Man Show is mostly made of sophisticated types like yourself who deconstruct the show like you've done?

Does it really matter? The people who watch the show are those who choose to do so, and those who decide they are not offended by what they see. There are all sorts of folks in the audience, from burly macho men to slightly built shoegazers to women of all sizes. Obviously these folks do not have a problem with the offensive nature of the show, and so they choose to attend a taping. I do not think such people are stuipd, or any less sophisticated than viewers like me may be. I mean, let's be honest here, if I can figure this stuff out, then anyone can!

As for the purpose of the show, I believe it's most certainly up there to shock and offend. There is no plot, there is no acting talent, there is absolutely no reason for its existence other than to poke fun at everyone and everything. From dressing up like Rosie O'Donnell to pretending to be Karl Malone, nobody and nothing is sacred. When that is your aim in its entirety, I fail to see any more meaningful purpose there. And that includes claims (not made here) that this show is some sort of counter-revolutionary deal that is geared towards undermining the role of women in society, or hell-bent on destroying a woman's feeling of self-worth. Frankly, this show just isn't important enough for any of that.

------------------

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might also point out that quite often there are women shown in the Man Show audience. While I cannot claim to know what's going on inside their heads, or what their motivation is for being there...they appear to be laughing just as hard as the male audience members.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 04-20-2003).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.