Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » erotica

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: erotica
roziline
Activist
Member # 11078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roziline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been interested in boks and short stories so i was on the internet and i discovered this thing where people talk about sex like a sory. if you don't know its called erotica. Its really great to read on im 13 and its for 18 year olds (at least)

i find it patronising that people look at under18s as "not ready for this material" if anything they should promote the idea of getting to know your body.

anyway, back to my point. I really like erotica. I have to hide it when my mum comes into the room and i feel quite guilty because i don't like lying to her. should i stop?

------------------
rosie - the girl dreams are made of =)

Posts: 68 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might find it patronizing, but the truth of the matter is that the great majority of erotica is meant to be entertainment, not education, and it is written (most of it, not all) intended for adults. That isn't just about the law, it's about ethics.

(I say this having edited it as my job for years now).

It's NOT a good way to learn about sexuality or your body as you're stating, because it's based in fantasy, not reality. That isn't to say there's a thing wrong with sexual fantasy, because there is not, but it shouldn't be mistaken for sexual education, and more than we'd say war/action movies are a good way to discover what war is really like.

For the record, erotica is not so much "talking about sex like a story," but is, most simply defined, simply creative material which intends to sexually arouse the reader. Also for the record, it isn't legal to procure when it is clearly stated to be for above a certain age, so do be aware that by dismissing those warnings, you are not engaging in legal activity.

Sounds like you know that, which may be part of why you feel you should hide it. Chances are if your mmother discovered you engaging in it, and dismissing those warnings, you may find yourself with suddenly limmited internet access at home, which would not be totally in appropriate.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67102 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roziline
Activist
Member # 11078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roziline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so do u reckon i should stop reading it?

1. its illegal
2. i mite get in trouble

i guess i shud. thanks for ur help

------------------
rosie - the girl dreams are made of =)

Posts: 68 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the thing is, there are libraries.

It's not illegal to read books, for the most part, and a lot of literature at the library is actually very erotic.

Pulling smut off the net is illegal at your age and yes, will likely get you into trouble. Going to the library and picking up some books that are a LITTLE more age-appropriate and still have some erotic or sexual themes is a much better idea, IMO. To boot, when given material is more relevant to your own life and age, it can be a lot more interesting.

For instance, check out some Francesca Lia Block or Judy Blume or grab the classics. Even as a woman who has edited and published piles of modern erotica, quite frankly, I'm still of the mind that the bronte sisters often did it better than anyone. Grab a copy of Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67102 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roziline
Activist
Member # 11078

cool. ill be sure to check them out. I asked my mum about the erotic side of a book and she told me that when an author desribes a heavy loving relationship it can be classed as erotic. is she rite or duz it have to include sex. im not quite sure.
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calling something "erotic" really just means that it's sexually arousing - a "turn-on". And lots of things can be sexy, or described in a sexy way.

So if a loving relationship (or anything else) is described in an arousing way, that could certainly be called "erotic", even if there isn't any explicit sex in the description.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roziline
Activist
Member # 11078

thankies! i get it now . i was a little bit confused
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to Sexual Literacy.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.