Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Saving Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saving Sex
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a documentary on TV last night (ABC at 9:45pm for any other Aussies out there) called Saving Sex and as the title implies, it was about people who have decided to be celibate until marriage in spite of the fact that we (ie, Western cultures, but specifically Australia) currently view sex outside of marriage to be acceptable. One of the commentators on the show referred to the growing number of young people choosing this path as the counter-sexual revolution.

I personally think that any consensual safe sex is just fine, whether within a marriage or not, but it is always interesting to see why some people feel differently. As one would expect, given that non-heterosexual couples are unable to wed legally, the show was heterosexist- no mention of bi or homosexuality was made. However, there were some views of sex that did not simply revolve around coitus. Part of the documentary was a discussion between young people as to what celibacy meant to them- one woman was saying that she actually wanted to keep from kissing until marriage, because to her, it has some kind of sexual intimacy. Another girl said that hand-holding for her was very significant. She wouldn't wait until marriage, but it was definitely something she'd save for a committed relationship- but another of her peers made a point about how it is all relative. While hand holding may have some sort of sexual/emotional significance for one person, it may not have the same for another.

Nonetheless, while I have no objection to people choosing not to engage in sex outside of marriage, I did find some views expressed in the documentary to be somewhat disturbing.

One of the women said that she was celibate because she wanted to be a gift for her husband, and she wanted him to know that she was unbroken and had never been unwrapped. I have to confess, I'm not comfortable with a human referring to themself in the same way that you'd refer to a Christmas gift from Target or something. I don't like the idea that having consensual sex could make someone less valuable, or "broken". I also had a thought about the gift metaphor that she used- while, certainly people like to get bright and shiny gifts new from the box, the gifts that we tend to value most dearly are things that represent experience- the gift of a photograph, or the gift of a grandmother's jewellery- etc. These things are valuable because they stem from experience, not because they have been held back from it. Not that I am saying, mind you, that I believe partnered sex is less valuable if one chooses only to have it within marriage- just saying that it is a metaphor that definitely goes both ways.

Another thing that bothered me was a minister who said he was glad he did not engage in sex before marriage due to the fact that it would have defiled not only himself, but his partner, his future wife, and his partner's future husband. Now, I have no problem with someone saying "I feel it would be a defilement of me and my beliefs to have pre-martial sex", but I do think it's unfair to say that someone has been defiled by the act of another- it seems somehow to take away an element of choice in the whole matter.

Something else I would have liked to have seen was people choosing celibacy (whether until marriage, or simply for the time being) for reasons that were non-religious. All the people interviewed were celibate because they believed that is what their scriptures taught them, and as a non-religious person, I can't really relate. Furthermore, it would have provided a different perspective on what the impact of celibacy is on a relationship. The people interviewed seemed to have the view that refraining from sex before marriage would make their marriage stronger for various reasons- they all seemed pretty certain that it guaranteed some kind of magical happiness that could never be attained otherwise. One of the commentators said (and I agree) that this is a very naive view- celibacy will not guarantee a problem free marriage or a problem free sex life. Marriages between practicing Christians do have a high success rate (at least, they are less likely to end in divorce- what one might term as a "success" is subjective), and I have to wonder if this is because of celibacy, or because practicing Christians tend to have a community of people, and of course their own beliefs, encouraging them NOT to get divorced, quite aside from the whole celibacy issue. Perspective from a non-religious person would have been interesting for that reason alone.

The documentary was interesting even as it was, however. It did a good job of conveying the views of those who believe that one should be celebate before marriage, and while some of the commentators came from that perspective, not all did, making it a balanced production.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to Chasity meeting once a year and thats our moto- waiting till marriage and yes i do believe in saving it but they think "fooling around" is wrong- which i dont. but i have made the choice to save it till marriage but its a personal choice.
some people who have had sex and regret it believe in secoundary virgins. because "virginty is a spitial not a physical thing".

------------------
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imho, 'waiting till marriage' doesn't mean very much in this day and age because people have different ideas of what sex is (I've seen threads on this site asking things like does oral sex count as sex? etc) It poses a problem for homosexuals who want to wait till marriage for religious reasons etc, because they simply don't have the opporunity to get married in many countries. A non-religious reason for staying celibate for you Beppie: Someone I know said he wants to wait until marriage to have sex just to prove his parents wrong (apparently they think all teenagers are sex crazed) I can't say that's a good reason for saving sex, just to prove somebody wrong, but good luck to him. I think there is too much emphasis on 'virginity' and chastity and I definately disagree that people are 'broken' and 'defiled' by sex outside marriage. I think people who say those things should bear in mind that there are marriages without love and marriages where rape happens. Isn't that kind of sex within a marriage worse than loving consensual sex outside of a marriage?
*Badger*

[This message has been edited by badly_behaved_badger (edited 09-28-2002).]

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.