Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » The Laramie Project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Laramie Project
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw The Laramie Project on HBO. It's a movie about the murder of Matthew Shepard and the response of the town. Has anyone else seen it? What do you all think?

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimmers n' such
Neophyte
Member # 6816

Icon 11 posted      Profile for shimmers n' such     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey

I didn't see the movie, I unfortunately don't get HBO, however, I remember reading about this incident and watching things about it on the news. It's disgusting what happened. I remember becoming ill over that crime. It shocks me that in this day and age, people STILL have a problem with everyone else. There's enough to worry about with yourself, leave others alone. I guess it all comes down to lack of education, and thoughts and feelings being passed down. I live for the day when we aren't judged on something as personal and as far from anyone else's business as our sexual orientation is.
This may just turn into a different topic, so maybe it should be moved where more people can access it? (is it just me, or do few poeple come in here )? What does everyone think? Why do you think that some mebers of society still look down upon homosexuals and react the way they do?

[This message has been edited by shimmers n' such (edited 04-04-2002).]

Posts: 33 | From: Ice Castle, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luscious_leslee
Activist
Member # 6912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luscious_leslee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just finished watching this on one of the movie channels.
i'm literally in shock that something as horrible as this could happen. all i can't think to do is live my life for matthew shepard and experience all the things he may not have had the chance to do. i think we should all do that for him and for the others who have had their lives taken from them.
it is disgusting that a society could ever allow this happen.
i can't think of much else to say about this now, i'm gonna go find some kleenex to wipe my tears away from watching this.

Posts: 91 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heder
Activist
Member # 3532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's actually another film that was released about this called the Matthew Shepard Story. I think it's great that the story is being told. it means that people recognize how terrible this is. It makes people aware that this stuff happens.

------------------
I think this boy's cheese slid off his cracker - The Green Mile

Posts: 49 | From: winnipeg,mb,canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^I saw the Matthew Sheppard Story. I taped it. I agree with you all. G-d rest his soul.
Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I heard about Matthew Shepard I thought I was going to cry. My stomach twisted up and I felt all sick and stuff that anything like that could happen in a place where I was always told I was perfectly safe and people were nice(my mom grew up in Wyoming, we used to go there lots when I was little, we go less now). The high school is doing a production of it, and my mom pointed out a flier for it, but I said no; I just don't think I could handle it. I'm afraid I might be sick all over the guy sitting next to me or burst into tears or something. I can't believe I don't have enough guts to go.

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I just watched this movie for the first time today. I'm generally the type of person that really isn't usually moved by movies. But, there were so many points in this movie that simply got to me. Particularly the actual footage from gatherings around the time when Matthew Sheppard was attacked. One particular point was where Ellen DeGeneris was speaking, crying actually, and that portion of the movie really got to me.

One fault, though, that the movie had (much like "And the Band Played On," also produced by HBO, but that was about the outbreak of HIV (then known as GRID -- Gay Related Immune Deficency)) was that it suffered from "Spot the Cameo." Laura Linney, Ben Foster, Camryn Manheim, Amy Madigan and a slew of other famous to semi-famous actors filled this movie, and I think that on some level, that removed a bit from the film itself.

------------------
Tim, as in "Whoa, Dude."
Scarleteen Advocate

My hormones don't rage. Oh sure, they get mad sometimes, but then they just stop speaking to each other. -- Daria.

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 12-26-2002).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.