Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Must-Read, Must-See

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Must-Read, Must-See
queefy
Neophyte
Member # 5699

Icon 4 posted      Profile for queefy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every girl absolutely MUST READ and MUST SEE the VAGINA MONOLOGUES, no doubt about it. I have yet to find anything that is so funny, uplifting, and empowering, in regards to women's sexuality, while also drawing attention to violence against woman as well as other gender issues. Wonderful wonderful book.

I'm in NYC and tickets for the live show are expensive and I'm running low on dough. Some college campuses perform it but I don't know where. At least HBO is showing it on Feb. 14, with additional commentary and stuff like that. I'll definitely be taping that.

Posts: 5 | From: New Orleans | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snarlkitty
Neophyte
Member # 6691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snarlkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see it, but haven't came around to telling my mother that. She still thinks I'm a 'little girl', which I can understand as I'm turning just fifteen soon. If you can make copies, I'd love to purchase one
Posts: 9 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queefy
Neophyte
Member # 5699

Icon 12 posted      Profile for queefy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, sorry but pirating off TV isn't my thing ;-). They're gonna show it a few times in February... maybe you could watch or tape it when your mom isn't around

Unfortunately, I know the pains of living with overprotective parents! Just imagine their shock when I told them that I'm bi! I've decided that I'm old enough now to know what I want, make my own decisions and be proud of them... to not ask for permission anymore! Even if it means that I'll have to deal with all that nagging at home.

Truthfully, I don't think they'll ever stop seeing me as their little girl no matter what I do, so I do what I want while still respecting the differences between us. Know what I mean?

Posts: 5 | From: New Orleans | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching the Vagina Monologues at Bristol (yeah the tickets cost the earth!..25 pounds!). But its was SO worth it. I dont regret a single PENNY of it. I have never laughed so much for a long time and never felt as deeply moved either. The imitation of the 30 different kinds of orgasms from the "moaners", the story of the girl without a vagina, the story of the 72 yr old woman who "flooded", the story of the girl from the rape camps in Bosnia (this almost made me cry). It's amazing. If you haven't seen it yet, GO watch it. I'm definitely buying the book!. Eve Ensler ROCKS!!!!

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Vagina Monologues in my school (they were produced by my eighteen year old friend!) and totally loved it. That was about two years ago; the shows on campus this year were all sold out, so I didn't get to go, but I've read them since then.

However, I feel a little different about them, having read Betty Dodson's tirade against Ensler equating sex with violence again, which I agreed with, because the monologues that stayed with me the longest were the ones about rape and torture, not the more empowering ones about love, and pleasure. (Dodson also complains because the Monologues make it all about the vagina, when most women get pleasure from the clitoris, which is hardly mentioned in the play). Still, I think the play is a really different, and awesome thing, and maybe it'll spawn a whole new genre of powerful literature and drama that will get people thinking on issues the way the Vagina Monologues do. But I still feel that Betty brought up some good points I can't ignore, so I'm really torn on the issue.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yesterday, we were told about how the clitoris is the only organ in the female body that is there purely for pleasure and how it has 8000 nerve endings and how thats TWICE as many as in the male penis...hehe..she called it a "Clit Fact", and we were made to chant it about 5 times out loud!.
I agree, equating sex with violence isnt the healthiest thing to do. I guess the horrors stay with us more than the more empowering ones about love, because of the shock/sympathy factor I guess. I laughed a lot at the funny parts, felt sad at the sad parts and overall thought it was good. Just my opinion

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think guys should see it, too?

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF

'We're gonna light up the dark of night like the brightest day in a whole new way . . .'

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

yes, but I guess they might tend to feel a bit uncomfortable because some parts of it comes across as being anti-male. You need to be with open minded good natured guys who can just laugh at it. I'd be fine if I went with a bunch of guys for the male equivalent (penis monologues maybe? , but not everyone would be, and some people might take offense.
To me, end of the day, it's just a play you can go to with friends (male and female), to have a good laugh and come home. We went with a couple of guys to be honest, and they enjoyed the play too.

------------------

tiptoe
Neophyte
Member # 11733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiptoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first read The Vagina Monolouges around age 15 I thought it was the coolest thing ever. As I got older I found myself getting less and less excited about it, maybe because compared to other things I had read it just didn't seem revolutionary enough.

This past V-Day I finally got the chance to see a live production of the show at the local college. While the show was a pretty heavily edited version of the production (I live in a rather conservative town) and the acting was at times amateurish to the point that it obscured the content of the show, what really bothered me was that I knew some the women in the show.

And I couldn't for the life of me figure out why that was the thing that I couldn't get past. Then I read the Betty Dodson article mentioned above. Bing! The bit about the college student that had performed the "Reclaiming Cunt" piece but had never had an orgasm made everything all fall into place. Bing! You see, the women that I knew in the production were standing on stage proclaiming the beauty and wonder of vaginas, but were not treating their own vaginas with a whole lot of respect. And by respect I mean making smart descisions about their sexuality, you know, like practicing safer sex.
I guess I just question if the Monologues have really made that much of an impact. Yes, lots of money has been made for groups that help and protect women. But really, how many women have left the theater and really changed their attitude about their own vaginas?

------------------
What kind of paradise am I looking for?
I've got everything I want, and still I want more.
(ani d.)

Posts: 13 | From: Wisco | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.