Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Sex in Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex in Music
bombastic
Neophyte
Member # 5651

Icon 4 posted      Profile for bombastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sex plays a huge role in music, and that's a understatement. No one has proved this more and been more successful at it than Madonna, and now we've got artists such as Britney Spears who seem to be taking over the sex throne of pop music. Your thoughts?

------------------
+BomBASTiC+

Posts: 3 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*
Unless it's hostile or very offensive, I can't say I've got a problem with sex in music. Madonna can be rather explicit, but it is part of her act, and looking back further, there are lots of other examples of artists using the same trick, in other ways. Sex is part of life, and music's generally about life, so it only makes sense to me that the two would go together. However, if you're talking about artists you feel are popular only because they're attractive, rather than for good music, that is a bit of a different matter. The Buggles were definitely on to something when they said that being able to see, rather than just hear artists, would lead to the decline of those with a less impressive appearance. Still, we do have some choice in what we watch and listen to, and if you're more into eye candy than music, that's your choice. *sigh* I must confess, I love Samantha Fox, and it is for the music, and that's not exactly something to be proud of.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who wants to see a lot of sex and music should attend an opera or two.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very true. Sex in music/theatre isn't a new thing at all. It's much more blatant now, but hundreds of years ago, we had MacBeth, Comedia dell'Arte (studying it now), etc. I wonder what caused the change...

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queefy
Neophyte
Member # 5699

Icon 12 posted      Profile for queefy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
call me silly, but i like britney for both her music AND her image, and i'm not afraid to admit it, hehe! sexuality plays a huge role in her music, image, and everything we know about her, and true, it's nothing new, but it's still fun to me. the same applies for many (if not most) other singers & bands in regards to sexuality. i just wish that double-standard between the genders didn't exist, but that's nothing new either!

oh yeah, if anyone's interested, there's a britney contest at http://hbo.com/gl

laterz,
queefy

Posts: 5 | From: New Orleans | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.