Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Lets burn teen magazines!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lets burn teen magazines!!!
Doe4youbaby
Neophyte
Member # 4389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doe4youbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else here absolutley hate teen magazines?
They tell us whats cool, whats lame, How to eat , how not too eat ,what to wear,Whos cute whos ulgly, and pretty much run our lives , get this Im reading a teen mag right now that says size 9 is a plus size!
We need a better magazine than this.. with Things about confidence, and healthy lifestyles and being yourself.
bottom line stop Reading teen magazines And read a good book,Hurry before your brain explodes with useless jibba jabba!

------------------
*~ And the beat goes on~*
~*Ya da dada de~*
~*ya da da da dum~*

Posts: 33 | From: ca usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like Teen Magazines. I have been reading them ever since I have been 13 years old. I don't think that they are bad, while somtimes they do give out some funky information.

I think that they give good information on hair, makeup, what to eat, and what not to eat, ect ect.

They do have some issues with the people that are *heavier* and I have heard a lot of complaints about that. Some of my friends are a size 9, while I dont think its fat at all, some people do. Its a bigger size than I take, but I dont see my friends who wear it to be fat.

Thats just what I think.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to read some teen magazines and I didn't especially like them, but I didn't necessarily dislike them. Now, I can't stand them because I've figured out whose me is and that those magazines just contradict just about everything I feel. Some of the advice given on various beauty tips is very interesting and sometimes useful, but otherwise I have no interest in them anymore. Although those embarrasing stories are entertaining.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right, here comes my hypocrisy at its height. I really disagree with a lot that teen magazines do: type casting (the "skater guy," "Drama guy," "Socialite," etc.), generalizing (what do guys go for?), exclusion (ever see an article in Seventeen about homosexuality? didn't think so), and skinnyifying (that a word?). I could go on and on, but that would bore people. However, I still read them. I refuse to buy them, but I get them at the library or a friends house. I have curly, curly hair, and my mother has straight, and so I can get some ideas about how to wear it, and also my mother is anti-makeup, and so anything I learn about application of it comes from the mags.

However, I always feel awful after reading a teen magazine. There are never any healthily-sized people in it - I weigh exactly what I'm supposed to at my age and height, and still I'm fat compared to the models who permeate teen magazines from cover to cover. I wear a size 12, and somehow that's considered huge? All the teen mags I've seen are full of stick figures, skinny-minis, and things that just make me feel really bad about my body.

Pretty sad, aren't I? Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em, as they say.

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like teen magazines the way I like cotton candy, blue bubblegum, and glitter. They just make me feel happy. i haven't figured it out yet, because they certainly shouldn't. I have long hair (to my waist) and they never talk about any styles for people with long hair. Their long hair is shoulder length. And I use all natural hair shampoo, conditioner, and leave in conditioner, and that's it. No hairsprays or gunks for me. I'm certainly not their ideal reader, physically or mentally, and yet they make me happy.

But, then again, they also have great pics for my collages, so that's my excuse

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to really like them, but then i started to get really bugged by them. I agree that they send girls the wrong messages. But, some people are really into them. I know that me and most of my friends have moved past the point of reding them.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As AngelElisheva (I hope that's right) said, there's not much diversity in those magazines. I wrote to Teen a few times asking why they didn't have anything on gay/lesbian teens and I never got a response. That kinda cheezed me off a bit ... but oh well.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i never bothered with the teenie mags. they had nothing to offer me. i'm not interested in fashion. i was too introverted to flirt. and their "music" issues are full of crap (ever see an article on Belle and Sebastian in CosmoGirl? hehe, yeah right )

when i was younger, i read a lot of Time, Rolling Stone and Spin (the latter two have gone down the potty!)

Now I read some UK music mags (but my beloved Melody Maker bit the dust!) and the Wall Street Journal. I still read Time whenever I can find it.

I like the political stuff. Teen mags centralize the world into one view that involves a lot of glitter eyeshadow and N*Sync CDs. There's more out there. Wars, breakthroughs in modern science, things that will affect you that have nothing to do with movie stars.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
errrrm ok
SIZE 9 IS ABOVE AVERAGE?
i am not shure about you guys in the USA or the rest of the world but over here (england) size 12 is average
thats for ages 14-16+ so unless the sizes are HUGELY different i think that the guys working these things out REALY need to mesure more people!!!

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely! It's the same over here, size-wise, and that's what I really object to about teen mags. These magazines portray absolutely normal teens as fat, not only when they're not, but when social pressure to be thin and good-looking is bearing down on them the most and the need to be accepted is at a high. And then they have the nerve to say "Just have self-confidence; guys will like you." ????? Looks like I'm not the only hypocrite on this lonely planet!

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doe4youbaby
Neophyte
Member # 4389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doe4youbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing, Does anyone know of any magazines geared tword the younger generations?
Miz Scarlett, Why dont you start a good mag!
I bet It would sell like hot cakes!

I wish magazines would be more inspirational and make me feel good about myself, But they seem more like one big advertisement for clothes with diets that help you fit in them.

------------------
*~ And the beat goes on~*
~*Ya da dada de~*
~*ya da da da dum~*

Posts: 33 | From: ca usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

If you mean for younger girls, there's always American Girl, which is totally advertisement free, but other than that, I think you're stuck with the teen magazines. *sigh*

~Angel~

------------------
~Personal Quote~

~Calvin~

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of the teen magazine, and I never really have been. I dislike the too thin, perfectly complected, airbrushed images they present.

I also have a problem with the multitude of "How to Get a Hot Guy" articles. They write entire lists of what to do, most of which are actions which generally obviously fabricated if you actually try to pull them on a guy, and then tell you at the end to "be yourself!" How can you be yourself when they've just given you 19 other things that are completely not you but are guarenteed to get you a "hot guy"?

The only thing I even moderately will read in a teen mag is new product reviews. Occasionally I'll find something profitable in there...but usually that's not enough to offset the loss of braincells from reading other articles. (Ugh, I actually read a copy of Seventeen at work today, I'm positive my IQ dropped by at least 10 points)

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 07-03-2001).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

A non-teen magazine that I really used to like is National Geographic World. It's the kids edition of Nation Geographic. Now it isn't nearly as good as it used to be, but it's still pretty cool. I have at least 5 or 6 years of back issues sitting in my room.
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I join in in the burning of teen mags. I find that "Do THIS to be a guy catcher" just as bad and insulting as Cosmopolitans "20 things to turn your man on". What are women and girls? Incomplete without men?

Secondly, that size thing bothers me to death, too. Totally outside of reality. And I bet tons of girls suffer under the expectations these mags put on them.

Icky teen mags, icky women's mags. I actually bought a Cosmo last month, but really I am so over it, I can't tell you. Ick.

Anyway, as for good mags, when I was a teen, over here in germany, a cool mag "Young Miss" started, a submag of a famous more alternative women's mag. They sure featured lots of fashion, but tried to be open size wise and had models that looked like my mates and me. - And great recipes, travel tips and stuff about being active in your community. Liked it lots.

for a glimpse (in german) http://www.youngmiss.de/

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucina
Activist
Member # 3792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bust is a good girl's mag, bitchy and quirky and full of cool interviews (they hiked up the price to $7 over here, but it's still worth it!). They also have Reluctant Hero, which I think is targeted to 10-15 year-olds (I could be wrong). Why don't you check out some neat girl-written zines? Or make your own? Yeah, get some friends together and have a zine-making party! Mmm, nothing like the smell of fresh Xeroxing.
Posts: 61 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
moving to Sexual Literacy

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-10-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "horror stories" in them. That's about it though. I think the non-ad ones usually have better content, but then I'm not really a magazine person. Give me TIME and Ad Busters and I'm happy (XY too, come to think of it maybe I am a magazine person).

Visit your public library today. Magazines and books, whoo hoo! Music too.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe. i like bust.

i have the new issue with natasha lyonne on the cover, and i left it by my pc, and my mom is like, i read the "one handed story", and yah know what? it made me want to have sex with ur father.

and that's when i proceded to tell my mom that my boyfriend and i made love.

heh.

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gaffer, ad busters is awesome. My modern electronics teacher gave us a bunch of magazines, ehhe, funny stuff, especially mcdonalds ad paradies. hehe! But those are the only magazines i'm into.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that the teen magazine circuit always made my stomach churn. I can only read Totally Bodacious Babes Burn Their Buns in Minutes Flat! so many times before my gag reflex kicked in.

I always wondered what it would be like if people really talked in the slang those magazines are written in at all times. I mean, with all the cheesy sayings and trended-out slang. It would be like speaking to someone in another language. I doubt I'd be able to understand it.

------------------
Smile, though your heart is breaking....

My crazy little universe....

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there....
With open arms and open eyes...."

-Incubus

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.reluctanthero.com for those who live in Canada. I've been in there, and I also met their editors. Excellent mag.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havnt seen any really negative effects from reading teen mags. And i actually have seen plus size models. And i dont mean plus size 9, i mean plus size 16. It was like Teen or YM or something. It was like three years ago. I stopped buying those mags after i finished collaging every wall in my room with pics. I also think teen mags are great for finding models for my drawing. A&F catalogues are good for finding figure models too since they are all half naked.

Now all i read is The Artists Magazine (awsome if you want some tips for your artwork) and Time, and Reader's Digest, and Shape, and Self. The last two are just for some workout ideas. I prefer womens mags over teen mags any day.

And what magazine said size 9 is PLUS size? Most stores consider plus size to be 12 and above, i know thats what the plus size models are. Lane Bryant stores only have size 14 and above (even though their manaquins are size 12 so they have to pin the clothes on them)

Oh, and i have read an article about being a homosexual teen in some teenie mag. But it focused only on how they were treated badly by friends and family.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.