Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Sex Positive Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Positive Books
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okies, my question is what books have you read, that are not necessarily supposed to be sexual, that showed "sex positive" stuff? Because my summer's going pretty slow

All books by Francesca Lia Block are pretty sex positive, although they're aimed at the younger reader, I like them because they have a kind of fairy tale like quality. In all of them, she makes it a point to mention that safer sex is being used for any sexual actvities between the charecters, she talks about gay people, and she even mentions drugs and cutting alittle bit.
Anyway, the best one is Violet & Claire. Violet is about to have sex with Super Rockstar God, she pulls out a condom (because she always has a few in her purse), he pushes it away and says "it's not my size" and she comes back with "put it on or you can get the **** off of me". He puts it on, of course

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm really happy that these books are aimed at younger kids. I mean, I think that scene is the coolest thing ever (you usually don't find that in children's books) and I'm 15! If I read that as an 11 year old...

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

Finish the fairy tale that you were drunk enough to start - Veruca Salt

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the books I read are probably not very positive. Period.

But it is enlightening to know that there is never any unprotected sex in Marian Keyes and Fiona Walker novels. While I would love to see those dental dams, latex gloves and lubricant get some action as well, I will settle for sex with condoms. For now.

While the scenes are not as overt as the one you have mentioned Pix, condoms do pop up everytime there is sex. Or when there will be sex.

Although it is kind of troubling that I have never read about the man providing the condoms. Or it is very rare that I read about it anyway. It always seems to be the woman who brings the condoms or asks about protection.

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 06-13-2001).]

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read a lot of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey. The older ones are not particularly aimed at younger readers but the newer ones are, somewhat....

Reading those books really enlightened me about homosexuality and probably are the initial reason why I began to question my own sexuality, why I was okay with learning my uncle was gay and various other things. The books come in trilogies, and one trilogy (The Last Herald-Mage--yes, they are fantasy novels) is the story of a gay protagonist.

In that trilogy, there is even the evolution of slang terms dealing with homosexuality--kind of interesting... also, there is a culture within the books, in another area of the world, where homosexuality and bisexuality are fairly prevalent, and there are many life partners of the same sex. Very cool. VERY cool. You can see the travellers from other areas of the world rethinking their ideas about love and everything. I still reread those books and I think, God, I am so happy and glad that I found these as a younger kid. They just really helped me to see that there are alternatives in life to what you might think...particularly where sexuality is concerned. I tried to pass them on to my younger sister but I don't believe she ever read them.

Safer sex isn't really an issue because there is really only a little bit of sex or hinting at sex... also, they're fantasy novels, so I don't think it would really work for a mage to pull out a condom as we know them.

Man, I might have to pick up those books again...for the tenth time? Ah, nostalgia...
------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

[This message has been edited by rambler (edited 06-16-2001).]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what I'm checking out next time I go to the bookstore!

I just read (by Francesca Lia Block, of course) Girl Goddess #9 (which has a story that was in Am I Blue?, the version in Girl Goddess is better than that one though) and I was so shocked! Even for Block, it was a little...different. Not different, but just different to see it in literature, especially that aimed at children. One story is about a girlie child who has two moms, and it tells about her two moms and their life. And then the girl wants to go to public school (she was homeschooled before) and the kids make fun of her for having two moms and no dad, so she goes off insearch of her dad. I'm going to spoil the ending now, just a warning. It turns out that one of her moms was her dad, they had sex once (when the guy was male) to concieve the child, and then they went to Europe for the guy to have MTF surgery, which is how they all ended up where they were. And, pardon my language, I think that is cool as f*ck.

So many books are just normal hetero vanilla sex and morals that I think it's utterly awesome when an auther goes outside of the 'normal', even if the book isn't great.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to say: Dammit, Pixie... now I have even more books I want to read!

It's the summer, and my birthday's in the summer, so I always end up buying a slew of books with gift certificates and only then realizing I don't have shelf space for them... But at least I have something to do, then.

Maybe I will just camp out at Barnes and Noble and read and read and read. But I'm really obsessed with owning my own books.

------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rambler, I know I've mentioned them, but Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series (Luck In The Shadows, Traitors Moon, er, something else, too) are good fantasy books with some very likable gay protagonists. That part of the story takes a while to develop, and I was absolutely shocked when it finally did, but it was very well done, and the books have held up well to repeated readings. And, oh, did I mention that there are also some really liberated women in the books, too?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i also believe Francesca Lia Block just came out with an erotica book called, Nymph.

check it out if you want...i believe it still has her charateristic faerietale sort of way to it. (i haven't read it yet)

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.