Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Films About Interracial Relationships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Films About Interracial Relationships
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just rented The Pillow Book and The Lover and they are both fine films about asians in relationships with white people.

The Pillow Book stars Ewan McGregor (meow!) and Vivian Wu. Vivian's character Nagiko has a strange fetish for body painting calligraphy which stems from her quasi-Oedipal relationship to her father, a writer-calligrapher. Nagiko's father endures some hardships from his publisher, and it's this hatred of the publisher than keeps Nagiko going. Interesting film, you need to see it a few times to really understand it. Very intricate and visually compelling. Interesting cinematography, use of color and picture-in-picture insets. Excellent soundtrack. Directed by Peter Greenaway, 1997.

The Lover is an intersting film about a French schoolgirl and her affair with a Chinese man in colonial Vietnam (Indochina) in the 1930's. Stars Tony Leung, 1992. Very similar to Lolita, but with the added taboos of racism. And it has the interesting twist where the Chinese man is very wealthy, but the French family is penniless. As a person studying Southeast Asia, it really piqued my interest -- the story piqued my interest, not the explicit sex.

That's the other thing about these movies, they both are very sexually explicit (great eroticism in both, imho), and have no MPAA ratings. They may also be harder to find since they're not your average box-office boffo like Jurassic Park or Star Wars.

if anyone else has any good movie reviews about interracial relationships, do reply! Examples: West Side Story, Snow Falling on Cedars, etc.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Incredible True Adventures of Two Girls in Love . . . cutesy love story about, well, two girls who fall in love. They're 17. One is a working class white girl with a very queer family, the other is an upper middle class African-American girl with a straight single mom. Pretty interesting, but not very realistic.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Bitter Tea of General Yuen" a Frank Capra film about the love between a Chinese general and a caucasian woman in the years before the Koumintang established control over China. From the 1930's and startlingly mature.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poetgirl, I was going to talk about that, too! Coolness. I loved that movie. The white girl was hot.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, they were both hot Funny, I didn't even think of it as interracial until you mentioned it. It wasn't really dealt with in the movie.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.