Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » The Vagina Monologues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Vagina Monologues
siadreamsp
Neophyte
Member # 1265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siadreamsp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reccomend this book whole- heartedly, i believe that all women should read this book. I am not a one of those violent feminists but i am a feminists, and this book was just so enlightening.
Posts: 15 | From: Cave Creek Az | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see about moving this topic to Sexual Literacy since it is basically a book review.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Intelligence is like underwear. We all should have it but we shouldn't show it off."
~James Dent

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
~Helen Keller

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, much better don't you think? Anyway, I completely agree that it is a wonderful book, and I'm not a radical feminist either. They're actually doing a reading from The Vagina Monologs on our campus at the beginning of February in honor of V-Day, and I'm definately going. I wouldn't miss it for the world!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Intelligence is like underwear. We all should have it but we shouldn't show it off."
~James Dent

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
~Helen Keller

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I heard, The Vagina Monologues was being performed in San Francisco at the theatre next to the Curran Theatre. The run may have ended by now, but in case it hasn't, well, that's something to do if you're travelling about the Bay Area.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bunch of our students did a performance of The Vagina Monologues at my college, and it was awesome. I often don't really feel comfortable with feminist art, but this rocked. Even the guys I was with liked it, although they had a few questions ("You women *are* beyond anthropomorphizing your genitals, right?").
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone please give a brief description of what it entails?
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a very strong feminist, and I thought (the show) Vagina Monologues was rather lacking. It attempts to be a radical and political take on female genitalia/feminism/life in general, but instead comes out as an extremely mainstream production designed to get laughs, nervous or otherwise, and to get women to feel as if they're a part of something radical, which I suppose isn't a bad thing...sparking interest in feminism never would be.

The play doesn't work too well for radical feminists- mainly because of how it tends to reduce womanhood to simply sex. It states that a woman IS her vagina...what if she's had it mutilated permanently somehow- is she not a woman anymore? Menstruation is mentioned once, and it's probably the most consistent contact that a lot of women have with their girly parts.

I don't know. It was mediocre. I saw it fairly recently, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

------------------
xoxoxo.
-zarah

Posts: 19 | From: in between the moon & you | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
7of9
Neophyte
Member # 2578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7of9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with siadreamsp...

If you are not that biased like Joryuu, it is a book you should read... I think it brings together some different sights on beeing a woman.

Some, not all Joryuu...

And I like that kind of thoughts. It brings you to think about things you have forgotten long time ago...

Posts: 15 | From: Germany | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
7of9
Neophyte
Member # 2578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7of9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beppie... try...
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,32790,00.html
http://www.vaginamonologues.com/Content.htm

Posts: 15 | From: Germany | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gillian Anderson and a cast of stars (including Winona Ryder & Kirstie Alley among others) performed this as a play...too bad it didn't go international :0(

gillians gal

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7of9, please try not to insult other users. Joyruu didn't like the Vagina Monologues; that's her opinion.

Interestingly enough, I recieved my copy today. I read it in the middle of church. I personally thought it was a lovely piece of work, however, I agree with Joyruu in that the play was not nearly as radical as reviewers made it out to be; it was simply radical in that the reviewers were a little right wing.

I am one of those violent feminists, and I have a couple things to point out:

1. The use of the word "vagina" was wrong throughout most of trhe book. Eve Ensler was more often than not speaking about the vulva, and that word did not appear once in the book. For example, the woman who had to shave her "vagina." You can't shave a vagina. That's like shaving the inside of your mouth. http://www.scarleteen.com/body/female_anatomy_2.html
Perhaps the author would benefit from this page?

2. This spot is actually for me to reiterate my hatred of misuse of the word "vagina."

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
7of9
Neophyte
Member # 2578

hey mophead...

if you read the introduction carefully you will find why she uses the word vagina. she complains that she doesn't know a better word to talk about this part of the female body...

what would you suggest...

she doesn't use vulva, cause she thinks most women couldn't know the exact meaning of "vulva". and you have to admit, that you can't say "shave a vulva" either...

Lisa

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoo!!! a cast of 12 Cal students will be performing 'The Vagina Monologues' on campus next week! I'm so there!!!

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But being wrong is being wrong. A vagina is inside. A vulva is outside. It takes away from my enjoyment of the piece when I'm constantly being forced to envision an actual vagina growing hair. It's horrible. "My husband made me shave my vagina." WRONG! Your husband made you shave your mons pubis and outer labia. You know, parts that actually grow hair. IN order to shave a vagina, you would have to insert a razor inside your body. If she can talk about FGM and about the clit, can't she talk about the real names of our body parts? It infuriates me that she conforms to the usage of the wrong word, just because society is to ignorant to even understand what a vulva is.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdavid
Activist
Member # 3041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the Vagina Monologues tonight (for the second time) and while I do really like the play in general, I'm agreeing with Joryuu on a few points. It does well to confront people's discomfort with vaginas (and vulvas, and clitorises, and the C-word, which is censored on this board, but you know what I mean), and I love love love love love the part where the sex worker woman demonstrates 23 different kinds of moans... but it just came off as so mainstream; more so than I thought it was when I saw it last year.

lately I've seen it lumped in with sort of repackaged commercial pseudofeminist entities like the Lifetime channel, and that seems kind of apt. on reflection, I really can't decide whether it truly is subversive, or if it just seems that way & makes women feel like feminists without being socially unacceptible.

but the essentialist undercurrent was a problem for me -- the underlying assumption that women are bodies(vaginas) and that bodies(vaginas) and women are interchangeable. and more than that, it is someone's vagina that makes her a woman & is the most important part of her as a woman.

so mainly ideological concerns. but when I wasn't busy uncovering somewhat problematic underlying narratives, it was a lot of fun. which is the way most things go, I guess.

------------------
r.d.m. * riotboy * http://f0o.org
"and you say i'm just a kitty cat in disguise" -- estrojet

[This message has been edited by rdavid (edited 03-29-2001).]

Posts: 47 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Hey, I thought I'd *bump* this topic back up in honor of it being almost Valentine's Day...

Check around your area to see if there is a showing benefiting the VDay organization!

tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was really interesting to read everyone's different opinions on the book/play. My campus is putting on a play of it next week, and I just bought tickets. I'm excited to see it!

One of the flyers I've seen on campus so far promoting the event: "Did you know a female's clitoris has twice as many nerve endings as a male's penis? Twice!..." hummm...

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/survey.html

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 13 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you have already brought up what I think about the Vagina Monologues, but I still have to throw my two cents in.

I think it's kind of dumb, not ONLY that Ensler keeps using "vagina" (because there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to "shave my vagina," as I think Mophead pointed out) but that I *don't* and *won't* define myself by a single body part.

Plus, for anyone who's taken a bio class, we know that the penis is analogous to the CLITORIS, not the vagina. Most women don't even orgasm due to the vagina, and it doesn't have many nerve endings in it save for around the opening. Most pleasure that women get from sex is due to the clitoris - not the vagina.

Now, if this was the Clitoris Monologues, and Ensler would educate her readers about what a vulva is, then maybe I'd be up for seeing it. But as it is, the whole thing seems like a way to get women to twitter nervously while the people on stage yell "VAGINA!" really loud - not exactly the radical feminism that Ensler and a lot of people think it is.

</soapbox>

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

this is what you get for liking it.
"Sebastian, you're in a mess, you had a dream they called you king of all the hipsters - is it true or are you still the queen?" --Belle and Sebastian, "Put The Book Back On The Shelf"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really like the vagina monologues....because i love people bringing attention to taboo subjects.
i agree with what folks have said about hte use of the word vagina as a generalization for the entire female genitalia.

i saw them performed by ensler a few years ago, with my whole family (interesting experience to say the least), which was rather good. some of the monologues are incredibly well done, and many are less well done. my mother took issue with the lack (at least in ensler's performance, i havent read all the monologues, and i don't know if she performed all of them) of a monologue about vaginal childbirth, which to her was a very important experience regarding her vagina. the monologues are very white, and very heterosexual (yes, there are a few lesbians but not many) and all the women are "women born women" (whatever *that* means or signifys).

my campus is putting on a production. this year they are doing it "by the books", meaning through the V-Day fund, which sets extreme limits on what can and can't be done. they can only perform certain monologues (i've heard that this year the selectionis very hetero and white, although i don't know for sure), which leave the directors very little leeway. last year, some people at my school wrote their own, which were incredible, and encorporated their experiences not only as women but as trannies and as people of color and as dykes and so on. in addition, a large percent of hte proceeds from any show must go to local shelters (which is great) but part of the proceeds go to "women in afganistan" which is a questionable cause...sending money to an organization who's politics you don't necessarily agree with isn't high on my list of things to do...but whatever.
i really like them anyway, but i would never consider them "radical" by any means. not at all in fact. entertaining, yes, touching, yes, hte moaning one is just plain *fun* (my goal is to be able to perform that one)....
happy v-day anyway, kids!
-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erinpinkhair
Neophyte
Member # 7153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinpinkhair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this performed at my college on valentines day. i took my boyfriend. it was really a lot of fun.. i don't believe he enjoyed it as much as I did, but he did learn a lot. That show helped out relationship so much..
Posts: 11 | From: Maine | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.