Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Girl Goddess #9

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girl Goddess #9
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Francesca Lia Block is, hands-down, the best contemporary young adult (and adult -- heck, I still read the stories and devour them) author out there, in my opinion.

Girl Goddess #9 is a book I can never keep a copy of, because as soon as I have reread it, I give it to someone else, and they never give it back. She writes beautifully, with incredibly crafted plots, but amidst all the magic, all of her characters are real and believeable, facing situations most teens face themselves. She's unafraid to address controversial topics, and she's just plain wonderful.

My favorite story in this book is "Dragons in Manhattan," in which a girl with two mothers travels across the country to find her father, and discovers something truly surprising she didn't expect at all.

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*evil*vampiress*
Neophyte
Member # 696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *evil*vampiress*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its my absolute fav book !!! i thought no one else has like heard of it!! and my fav story is Dragons in Manhattan as well!!
*very excited lol*

*alex*

Posts: 36 | From: ontario, canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooky4444
Neophyte
Member # 17538

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Spooky4444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*mad squeals* I love her books! I haven't read Girl Goddess #9 yet, but I've read Echo and Violet & Claire. Echo is great, because the girl (echo, of course) struggles with a past of "desperate striptease and lonely kissing" and eating disorders, and seeing her friends struggle to survive in LA and its just awesome. And in Violet & Claire, i just adore it because it's written in two parts, the first half is Violets journal, and the second half is Claire's diary. Violet and Claire are both incredibly totally different, Violet is a bit loose, and Claire is stubborn in her beleif that if she never lets a man touch her, then maybe one day she can escape with the faeries. Both are just awesome.

------------------
"Being bisexual automaticly doubles your chances for a date on a Saturday night." --Woody Allen. ((i hate him, but it IS a good line.))

Posts: 12 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 10 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... HELLO? What about Weetzie Bat? Have you not yet read the genious Francessa's tale of young weetzie and her dark mysterious secret agent man and his duck? By far her best work along with the other weetzie chronicles!

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked I was a teenage fairy the most because I identified. Francesca Lia Block was my most favoritest author for a long time and I still love her books.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rawestrus
Neophyte
Member # 32206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rawestrus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Francesca Lia Block. Growing up, she was one of my favourite subversive young adult fiction writers out there when I was a high school student, not to mention Weetzie Bat's polyamory and the questions that Wasteland raise about love and undermining essentialist notions of what is right and wrong. FLB deftly wove her narratives together, creating a sensualist's paradise.

--------------------
Toronto Women's Bookstore:
www.womensbookstore.com

University of Toronto Sexual Education & Peer Counseling Centre:
www.sex-ed.ca

Posts: 5 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queer.yr.gender
Neophyte
Member # 31437

Icon 6 posted      Profile for queer.yr.gender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree... "dragons" is my fave in that book also... especially because i love when witch baby meets up with that family in "missing angel juan."

its not often that you find an author who really addresses queer, sex positive, progessive storylines for young adults without being preachy.

francesca lia block definetly kept me sane for most of jr high and high school.

i think i'm gonna re-read "dangerous angels." it's been a few years. [Smile]

Posts: 3 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"dragons in manhattan" was my favourite from that book too. actually, it's even more my favourite since i started obsessing over angels in america.

i think my favourite-favourite book of hers that i've read so far is probably "missing angel juan", though...

Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surprised that so many people have read her and VERY GLAD that everyone loves her! Although I usually read books that my teachers recommend, I was gravitated to Francesca Lia Block's writing when I was 13 because a lot of the troubles in the book were things that I was facing. Albeit, at the time I didn't understand a lot of what what going on in the story and found a lot of scandalous, I continued to read her throughout my teenage years, and I enjoyed it very much. I agree with foxfire-like Weetzie Bat. Haven't read Dragons in Manhattan, but now I sure will!

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.