Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Cold Sore Transmission

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold Sore Transmission
WhatsHappening
Neophyte
Member # 110877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhatsHappening     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the story.
I first noticed a tingling sensation 3 days ago. Not to my surprise i developed a sore on my lip. Now what is worrying me is the fact that i was kissing my girlfriend 4 days ago. I kissed her alot of the lips and only gave one quick kiss to the vulva. Is it possible that the virus was active? If so will she get it genitally? Is HSV-1 as severe on the genitals? Thank you.

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't really know if the virus was active one day before the tingling started. Once the tingling started, then yes, that's the virus being active.

The herpes virus can be transmitted mouth-to-mouth and mouth-to-genitals. Transmission is most likely when someone has an active sore, but still possible even when they have no symptoms. We have more info here: The STI Files: Herpes

We can't know whether she acquired the virus from that contact, or from any contact you both might have had in the past. (She may also already carry the virus, as many people pick up oral herpes in childhood.) You and your girlfriend will just want to talk about what level of risk you both are and aren't comfortable with. Using barriers reduces the risk of transmission - check out All the Barriers! All the Time!

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhatsHappening
Neophyte
Member # 110877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhatsHappening     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering! So if she hasnt gotten anything and its been 5 days since we kissed is she in the clear?
Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as Redskies said, she may already have the virus, there's no way for us to know that. But if she doesn't show any symptoms after a week or so, then it's unlikely that she will.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhatsHappening
Neophyte
Member # 110877

Thank you guys so much. Very helpful [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.