Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Semen volume?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Semen volume?
Sacha62
Neophyte
Member # 110619

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sacha62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I am new here and I have a question. Is there an average volume of semen a teenage boy should ejaculate?

I turned 14 early this year and whenever I masturbate I get 10-12 spurts of semen. The spurts shoot out like bullets and it no longer drips as when I was younger. Is it average for my age?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The average volume is around 1-2 teaspoons total per ejaculation. Sometimes it can be a bit more, sometimes a bit less, but it's not a huge amount of fluid, and less than people tend to think. I'm not aware of any data that calculates the average just for teenagers, though, and averages are only so useful anyways: average doesn't mean normal, and people are pretty diverse.

With the second part of your question, sometimes ejaculation happens with more force than other times, so often you'll experience spurts like you describe, other times it won't be so forceful. It's one of those things that tends to be pretty variable, like so many things about the human body. [Smile]

[ 06-22-2014, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sacha62
Neophyte
Member # 110619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sacha62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thank you [Smile]

However I think it is strange to measure the volume in a teaspoon and it is not really precise. That's why I prefer to count the number of "spurts" (or "shots") I have during an ejaculation.

I have two friends, also 14 years old, who told me they often shoot at least 10 spurts. I guess it must be average even if everyone is different as you said Karybu.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, the number of spurts and the force of ejaculation can vary from day to day even with the same person, while the amount of fluid varies less: that's why that particular measurement is used. But whether it's measuring teaspoons or something else, comparing yourself to others isn't really necessary, because "normal" encompasses a huge amount of variation. [Smile]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sacha62
Neophyte
Member # 110619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sacha62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with you. I just wanted to know if there was a common amount for boys my age. It's true that everybody is different and even if my friends and I can shoot 10-12 spurts (rarely less) easily each time we masturbate, other 14 year-old teens won't be able to shoot that much.

So I think we are lucky enough to be healthy and to have a normal amount. I asked a doctor about it and he said there is no typical volume but when I told him the number of spurts I have, he said "10 to 12 ? Really ?" He was surprised that a young boy my age could shoot that much. I was not aware it was so unusual at 14 lol

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge, this just is not a metric we have that much data for, most likely because beyond curiosity, there is not going to be much practical use for this kind of data, and studying this would involve supervised masturbation. Those sorts of sex studies are rare, and are certainly not something people can study with legal minors.

Per what data there is about contractions with ejaculation I could find for you, the studies that do include this metric seem to suggest 10 - 15 contractions is average. Here is one I found if you want to peek at it yourself: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7458658

[ 06-27-2014, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(If you wanted to poke around some and see if you can find any more of that kind of data for adults yourself, what you would want to look up is not "spurts" but contractions.)

[ 06-27-2014, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.