Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Std or viral infection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Std or viral infection?
jcat
Neophyte
Member # 110411

Icon 4 posted      Profile for jcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried I have contracted oral gonorrhea or HIV from my boyfriend. We have never had intercourse, only unprotected oral contact a few times.. And the last time was at least two or three months ago. Now all of the sudden i have a big yellow patch on my right tonsil, it hurts, and I feel sick (like a cold but no congestion) And I had a negative strep test when I went to the doctor. Do you think it could be an std or could it just be a viral thing..? The doctor thought it was just a viral infection but she didnt know about the oral sex contact. I may add that he does not have any signs of an STD either.. He has only had protected sex and his last encounter was probably a year ago with his ex.
Posts: 6 | From: usa | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that the doctor may have done different tests if she'd known that you were sexually active, but generally if a doctor suspects that an STI may be a culprit they'll ask you about whether you're sexually active or not. So unless she did and you said "no" I wouldn't worry too much about that here.

If you want, you could call the office to ask if having unprotected oral sex would change her thoughts on this, but I think if she is guessing it's a virus that you could just wait and see how that goes. Viral infections of the throat are indeed pretty common.

It is a good idea, now that you're both sexually active and it sounds like neither of you has started getting regular STI screenings, to go ahead and make that part of your general healthcare. And if your throat doesn't get better or you notice anything else odd about it, you could certainly call the doctor back for a re-check. We just can't have any better idea than she did about the cause, since we can't examine you.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.