Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » do I need to wait with symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do I need to wait with symptoms?
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so: I know that if you suspect a pregnancy, you have to wait a certain amount of time before a test will tell you anything

is this true of infectious symptoms too?

context being that I've had a lot of itching/burning/discomfort with my vulva for probably a week or two, and I'm wondering if I should see a doctor asap or if it's something I should wait out for whatever reason. Having sex the other day made it quite a bit more uncomfortable for the next 24 hours or so, but I don't think it came on as a result of -having- sex (as before the other day I hadn't had it since January).

I'm not asking for any suggestions of diagnoses - obviously you're not doctors, and I do fully intend to go see one, but I'm just checking if this is one of those things I need to wait out a little longer or if going as soon as I can is the better idea.

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With any signs of infection, the sooner the better, especially if it's been going on for quite some time. Best not to engage in any kind of sex until you've seen a doctor, too: as you've seen, it can often make symptoms worse.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. I thought it would be that, but there are some things you're supposed to wait to either come to fruition or wait to see if they go away, so I just wanted to check before I wasted anybody's time. Thank-you!
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.