Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Yeast Infection Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Infection Questions
Member # 81689

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pumpkinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarletteen!

So recently (last Friday) I went to the gyno to have a check because I've been having some unusual symptoms on my lady parts. Turns out I have a yeast infection which the doctor gave me medication; 2 dose pink tablets one right away and 2nd 3 days later which is today. (Haven't taken today's yet, forgot this morning). I asked the doctor if this is something I should tell my partner about she said no, it's not sexually transmitted. She also asked if he was circumcised I said yes (not sure what that has to do with it but ok). After the doctor visit, I started looking on the boards here and website to read more on yeast infections, how to prevent and help get rid of (never had one before so I have no clue about them). While doing so, I came across a lot of people saying men can get yeast infections too so now I'm confused. Should I tell my boyfriend to get checked? (We did penetrate me once before I found out I had the infection). And I have a couple more questions:

Haven't taken the 2nd today yet. The first one I took around noon time, today I won't get home til late night. Does the time of day matter when taking the pill or as long as I take it it should work fine?

How would I know if the infection has gone away completely if I didn't really have any symptoms aside from mild itching for 2 days the first time?

Thanks to yeast infection I have a cut on my vulva from it. Doctor said to put coconut oil on it to help heal. Don't have coconut oil, is there anything else I could use? Tea tree oil? Aquaphor?

Would condoms protect against transmitting the infection during sex?

Sorry it's a lot of questioning but I'm a bit confused.

Posts: 11 | From: chicago, il | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pumpkinator,

Ooof, yeast infections can be quite an annoyance. I'm glad that you went to the doctor and had them check you out and give you a prescription. The time of day you take it is unlikely to change the effectiveness, so as long as you take it it should be fine.

Most folks can tell that the infection has cleared up because the symptoms go away. So, if you've had mild itching, you should see that go away. I would check back with your doctor about alternatives to coconut oil. I know you can use plain, organic yogurt as a poultice to soothe symptoms, but it might not work as well for an actual cut.

So, yeast infections aren't exactly contagious, but there is the chance that if one person is experiencing the symptoms, the other person my get them as well. We advise that anyone currently treating a yest infection abstain from sex, since treatments can erode condoms down (plus, it can often increase the irritation caused by the infection).

You can read in more detail (if you haven't seen this already) here: Yeast Infections

[ 03-17-2014, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 81689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

So as I mentioned before; I had unprotected sex with my partner last week before I knew I had the infection. So because it's not contagious but if the other partner has symptoms he may or may not get infected too right? Just depends how his body reacts? So I shouldn't assume he's got the infection already and go get checked unless he has symptoms? If so, what kind of symptoms do men get?

[ 03-17-2014, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Pumpkinator ]

Posts: 11 | From: chicago, il | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeast infections are not infectious (contagious), but what can happen is that when one partner has one, and engages in sexual contact with the other, that other person can be more inclined to develop one. I know that sounds similar, but it is actually different than, say, something viral.

When people with penises get yeast infections -- they, like fungal infections, are often colloquially called "jock itch" -- and they have symptoms, those usually are similar to vaginal yeast infections. We're usually talking about itchiness or a feeling of rawness.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 81689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok that makes sense. Thanks so much for all the info and we'll just keep an eye out if he gets any symptoms so he gets treated. BTW do symptoms show up right away after infection or do they take weeks to show up?

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.