Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Going out of country to get implanon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going out of country to get implanon?
E_Marie
Neophyte
Member # 99360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E_Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm picky about my birth control, apparently. Picky picky. I had been on Depovera for 2 years after being told there weren't any side effects repeatedly by my doctor (and trying to find out where all the weight gain, mood swings and insomnia was coming from before going off it 6 months ago and ditching the family doctor) and I'm looking for a new BC method.
I always use condoms and other barriers, but I want to keep my baby oven vacated for, well, ever. I'm probably going to look into getting my tubes tied when I'm older.
In the meantime, I've been jumping back and forth between the IUD and implant. The IUD sounded alright, except the higher risk of STIs, which is a huge issue with my promiscuous lifestyle.
The implant sounded amazing, except I'm a Canadain.
But I'm fairly close to the border (Vancouver area) and I was wondering if I could swing down and get the implant in the states, and then come back? Is that even legal? And I'm assuming it wouldn't be covered or anything in the states. But has anyone ever done this or seen it done?
Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated! [Smile]

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, the the IUD, the higher risks of STIs - or, more accurately, the higher risk of complications from them if you get any - is only for the first three weeks after insertion.

So, if you were to use safer sex during that time, and make sure you keep up with safer sex, given you have higher risks anyway, you would be no more at risk from those complications from someone in monogamy. It sounds like you already do that, so. [Smile]

But for sure, if the implant sounds better to you and you cannot get it in Canada you could come to the states and see a provider here for it, you would just have to pay cash. That is perfectly legal. If you are coming down from Vancouver, your closest stop is probably the Planned Parenthood branch in Bellingham.

[ 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E_Marie
Neophyte
Member # 99360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E_Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harrumph, I think I need a new doctor. But that's good to know! I'm going to look into a little road trip and if that doesn't work out I can get the IUD 8) I'm going to shoot for implanon first though.
The other thing that throws me about the IUD is the idea of it breaking in my uterus. Uhh.. nope. Nope nope nope. I know it's unlikely but I'm paranoid (hence the regular STI testing, barriers, my most recent tetnus shot)
I threw PP an email for a price estimate [Big Grin]
Thanks!

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take a look at a site like the American Association of Reproductive Healthcare Professionals, the ARHP, or similar orgs in Canada, and look up their IUD info, you can check that for yourself and also pass it ob to your doc.

That said, I personally would not be all that comfy with someone doing an IUD insert for me who was not keeping current on their education with it. But you may feel differently.

IUDs don't break inside the uterus. That is more than unlikely, it is just not a thing that happens.

None of that is to talk you out of the implant if that is what you decided you felt best about, just current info for you in the vase the implant winds up being out of reach, or the misinformation you had was steering you away from your first choice. Both methods are safe, highly effective, and pretty much totally goofproof: both are great choices.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, if you're looking for some good sexual health care while looking for a new family doctor you've got some good options in Vancouver.

I always recommend the Pine Health Clinic on 4th. It's amazing and they'll be able to give you good and accurate information about IUDs, and if you did want it they do insertion too. They might also be able to give you info about getting the implant and getting it in the states, though I couldn't guarantee that. They are an under 25 provider, but for that age range they're awesome. They offer free pap smears and great service for STI testing, as well as just general health care. They also offer free counseling, it's just a generally a fantastic place.

I ended up being referred by them to Willow Women's Clinic (near VGH) for my IUD insertion which also gave me really good service.

If Vancouver proper isn't good for you this group has a great search finder for local sexual health clinics https://www.optionsforsexualhealth.org/

I haven't used their clinics personally but everything I've seen of them looks positive.

[ 02-09-2014, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: skiesofgreen ]

Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Options for Sexual Health and us (Scarleteen) also really dig each other, so if you ping them, feel free to tell'em you came from here! [Smile]

Thanks so much for including your local suggestions, skiesofgreen!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

E_Marie
Neophyte
Member # 99360

Ah, when I said "Vancouver area" I meant I'm in Vernon (4~ hours away) I just didn't think anyone would be familiar with my area
I'm going in to talk to my local health clinic I just found (I just moved here [Razz] ) on Tuesday, they have a sexual health options office I'm going into to get information on doing the campaign at my school, so I'll ask the nurse about the two methods. If I can get the IUD there and from one of the awesome nurses, I think I'd be ok with it. But my family doctor here is kinda.. ehhhhhhhh I wouldn't exactly trust him to stick a huge rod in my arm or a chunk of metal into my uterus. During my last pap a few days ago I asked for one of the ladies to come in because he was getting all weirded out by my comfort level
I do still really want the implanon, but it's nice to know I don't have to be so paranoid about the alternative. I think it's going to boil down to cost in the end.
I read through the info here about the various birth controls and I hear different things everywhere. On a few sites depo sounded fine but on the post where people talk about their experiences it sounded as awful as mine was. But then on oh joy sex toy it mentioned something about IUDs breaking and.. yea, it's hard to know what's true and what isn't! :S
Birth control is weird.

skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, Vernon's lovely but definitely not feasible for a trip to the lower mainland for health care. Glad you found a clinic where you are though. Good luck!
Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.