Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sex Book Recommendations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Book Recommendations
LianHua
Neophyte
Member # 96145

Icon 5 posted      Profile for LianHua     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!
I am in dire need of a good informational book on sex, and I would love recommendations- hopefully something that covers the very basics.

I've already read most of the articles on Scarleteen, but I think I need something more detailed. Sex has been very difficult for me to figure out. Somehow I thought sex would be more intuitive. [Frown]

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi LianHua,
How about Heather's recent book? It's a favorite among my friends, particuarly because it is VERY comprehensive- so regardless of the level of a reader's background or former knowledge, there is always something to learn, and everything is presented in a straight-forward and easy-to-understand way.

Here's the book:
http://www.amazon.com/S-E-X-All-You-Need-To-Know-Progressive-Sexuality-Through/dp/1600940102

Our site's page that lists a bunch of the book's reviews is here:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/read/all_about_s_e_x_the_scarleteen_book

Depending on where you live, there may be a good chance of you finding a copy in your local public library!

Also, remember that sex ed in no way has to be a solo project for you! Especially if you are having trouble understanding things you worry are "basic." You can always post your questions about wanting clarification/more details about certain things here for ST volunteers to help you figure stuff out. [Smile]

[ 10-20-2012, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI LianHua,

Are you asking for books aJust so I understand what you're asking for:
bout the mechanics of sex with a partner? Are you asking about intercourse, or partnered sex in general?

Sex isn't intuitive, but it's also not something we can figure out all at once. It takes getting to know our bodies, talking with our partners, time, experimentation, sense of playfulness, etc.

Can you say more about how you've found things difficult?

Here's a link to a list of books. In particular in this list you may find the Good Vibrations Guide to Sex helpful.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/start_your_sexuality_canon

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LianHua
Neophyte
Member # 96145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LianHua     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the recommendation, Claire. I forgot that Heather herself wrote a book. [Smile]

Robin, I feel it's a bit embarrassing to admit since I am in my twenties and now married, but the truth is that my husband and I couldn't figure out how to begin to have sex for some weeks after we got married (even though we did express ourselves sexually before marriage). Now, we can manage penetration maybe half the time we try, and of those times, it's pleasurable maybe a third of the time for either of us. Positions and angles are tricky for us. It's kind of discouraging.

I am not sure about the distinction between intercourse or partnered sex. To be honest, I'm not yet comfortable in regards to oral or anal sex.

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

When I ws asking about intercourse or other types of partnered sex, I ws just trying to understand what you were asking.

I think you'll find Heather's book, as wellas some of the books in the list I linked you to, helpful.

Are you and your husband able to talk about this difficulty and the frustration you're having around it? Will you be reading these books together?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LianHua
Neophyte
Member # 96145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LianHua     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your question, Robin: yes, it is something that my husband and I do discuss regularly, and yes, we would be reading these books together.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That's great to hear. Communicating with each other and learning the same information will be beneficial to both of you.

Do you feel like you have enough book titles to start with?

--------------------
Robin

LianHua
Neophyte
Member # 96145

Yes, thank you, Robin and Claire. [Smile]
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem! Good luck, LianHua. [Smile]
Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.