Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Cold sores?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold sores?
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, when I was around 6 or 7, I vaguely remember getting a cold sore and I also remember getting one when I was 13. I've talked with my doctor about the likelihood of transmission since I've only ever had those 2 cold sores in my life, and she said that my chances of passing HSV1 on to anyone else were very slim. She also informed me that many people are unaware that they already carry HSV1 and that I could've gotten a cold sore at a young age via my relatives (since I've never kissed a non-relative before).
I guess my two questions here are:
1. Are my chances really that slim?
and
2. Should I tell someone right before I make out with them, "Hey, so I've had a total of 2 cold sores in my life and 1 was from when I was a little kid... Wanna make out through some saran wrap or something?"

I guess I just need some reassurance here, but I would hate to pass it on to someone else if there's a way that I could prevent it somehow.

[ 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI MusicNerd,
Oral herpes is most frequently transmitted when there is an open or a developing cold sore. The tricky thing with this is that when a cold sore is just developing, one doesn't always know.

However, since you've had so few cold sores in your life, it sounds as if, even if you're carrying the virus, your chances of transmitting it are pretty slim.

Your doctor is absolutely right that a lot of people have HSV-I, that they contract it nonsexually either as children or as adults.

Unless you have an open cold sore, or feel as if you might be getting one, I see no reason why you would need to discuss your previous cold sores before you make out. It's something you'd want to consider if engaging in oral-genital contact, but that goes anyway since several STIs can be transmitted through that type of sex.

Does this help at all?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, yes, that most definitely helps! I figured breaking out the saran wrap would be a bit of a moodkiller, but I'm glad to know from another trusty source that transmitting oral herpes would be really slim in my case and that I wouldn't have to go through using that awkward-dry-humor line before I make out with someone.

Thank you for clearing that up for me so quickly, Robin! [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got cold-sores from an infected drinking glass my dad used (that was being used to drink fizzy drink for upset stomach etc.). Apart from the first outbreak at the time, I haven't had any more, so I figure I'm not likely to get another for a long time (my health is very good).
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.