Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Awkward Shaving Rash

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awkward Shaving Rash
Zoeeyy.
Neophyte
Member # 96176

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Zoeeyy.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sensitive skin and everytime I shave "down there" I always get a rash. The rash looks like lots of really small red bumps and it doesnt get ichy it just hurts a little and looks like I have a STI (even though I dont). I even use shaving cream hoping that would work, but it doesnt.

How can I shave "down there" without getting a rash?

Posts: 14 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how "down there" you mean by "down there", but, in my experience, as long as I'm not within a few inches of my vagina proper, I will use Veet or a similar cream depilatory with aloe designed specifically for use at the bikini line. It's fairly gentle, and though I do get a little bit of that razor burn still, it is far less than when I've shaved the same area in the past. (Tip: if you go this route, it very much helps to shower directly afterward. In fact, that seems to help whenever I shave, as well.)

Unfortunately, if you are shaving right down to your vagina, it's pretty sensitive skin, and can make life difficult in that regard, and you definitely do NOT want to be using even the gentlest of cream depilatories because of the chemicals.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Zoeeyy,

Have you seen this shaving FAQ? I think it'll give you some ideas.

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/003629.html

Remember too that not shaving is always an option. Many people choose to leave things go 100% or just neatly trim the hair.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

When I shave down there, I often get the same bumps that you do. If I'm going too fast or not using enough shaving gel, it can really hurt. What I would suggest is to use warm water and a lot of shaving gel so there is more of a gap between your skin and the razor. How sharp or used is your razor? I find that blunt razors can really hurt me. CSandSourpatch has great ideas too, especially regarding showering right afterwards. Or you could shave while you're showering - the hot water will help. If I shave after recently shaving a day or two earlier (so there's not a lot of hair), that can really hurt too, and add more red bumps; so maybe be cautious of that.

I'm sorry if this post is too graphic! I just have a lot of experience getting those bumps. I hate them! Lol. You can also use some body lotion (sensitive products) on your skin too; or give the area room to breathe for a while. If I do a combination of these, my rashes or bumps usually fade in a few days.

[ 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoeeyy.
Neophyte
Member # 96176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zoeeyy.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much everyone for your help =D

Also when I ment "down there", I meant that flat outside part of the vagina. I dont know the propper name for it but its where the pubic bone is (I think).

So if I use lots shaving cream for sensitive skin, warm water and a sharp razor the bumps wont occure? I found that body lotion worked a little, but the Johnsons Baby Powder worked really well =D

Posts: 14 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use a blint razor and not a lot of shaving cream, you can really hurt yourself (I know that all too well!), but even if you do use a lot of cream and a sharper razor, you can still nick yourself. But, if you take your time and rinse out the blade, you will probably feel better and safer. Rushing while doing it can also cause cuts and bumps. Some razors have some shaving gel built onto them; and they leather up with the help of water, so those might help. If you use lots of cream, a good razor (sharp and one you have a good grip on), and warm water, your skin might get less irritated. I can't guarantee that you will not get any more bumps; but using those things might prevent you from getting a lot. How long have you been shaving that area? Your skin might build up a bigger resistance to the razor - that's sort of happened with my bikini line (I used to always get those bumps when I shaved; and now I don't get them as often if I don't rush). I'm glad that the powder is working for you! Good for you for finding something that works so well!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also?

http://hellyeahscarleteen.tumblr.com/post/26855541159/bodies-are-lumpy-and-bumpy

[Smile]

In other words, bumps really aren't awkward. Just a thing. Lots of people will have them in various places whether they're from shaving or a million other things.

On top of that, most of the time, with most STIs, there are no visible symptoms at all. So, a shaving rash isn't likely to look like an STI, because an STI isn't likely to look like anything at all.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.