Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Anal and period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anal and period?
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I got my period. I was already at my boyfriend's house, so I just put in a tampon. Later that day, we tried anal sex. He didn't put it in very far, and he pulled out without ever being close to coming. Neither of us have ever been with anyone else so I'm not worried about infections or anything. I'm just a little worried, I've never gone that far before. This isn't a pregnancy risk right?
Posts: 45 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! If you did not use any form of contraception (birth control, condoms, etc), then anal sex does pose a pregnancy risk. Also, although sometimes the chances of becoming pregnant may be reduced when you are on your period, it is hard to know when exactly you ovulate, and sperm can live within the human body for several days. So even if you have vaginal or anal sex during your period, you can still become pregnant.

Also, it is not such a good idea to just assume that neither of you have any kind of STIs because neither of you have engaged in any kind of sexual activity before. Yes, it means it's unlikely, but there's no way to know for sure unless you get regularly screened for STIs. Different people have different ideas of what "sex" is (so one person saying "I've never had sex before" might mean something very different to another person), and not everyone knows all the different kinds of sexual activity that can pose an STI risk, so you can't be sure that neither of you have an STI until you get a screening. So I would suggest both you and your partner start getting screened asap.

I would also suggest that you use some form of contraception as you start to get sexual with each other.

Here are some articles that I think would help you:
What anal sex is and is not
What Safer Sex Isn't
Birth Control Bingo!
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

[ 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so now you've got me really freaked out. Could I be pregnant?
Posts: 45 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a fairly low risk of pregnancy from the situation you've described, but yes, there is a risk. Because your boyfriend didn't ejaculate, the risk of pregnancy is significantly lower than it would be otherwise, but pre-ejaculate can still pose a risk.

If you want to, you can get a hold of the emergency contraceptive pill (plan B). You can take it within 5 days of when you were exposed to the pregnancy risk, but the sooner the better, as the longer you wait, the less effective the pill is. I'm not sure about laws in Louisiana, but you can usually get EC from Planned Parenthood, and in some states in pharmacies. Access may be limited if you're underage, I'm afraid.

Here's some more info on that:
Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

If there's anything else I can help you with, or any more information you want, let me know. I know it's scary to find out you've had a pregnancy risk, but try not to freak out too much. Right now what you need to do is arm yourself with knowledge, figure out your options, and make a plan. We're here to help [Smile]

[ 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.