Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Am I at risk? Semi Urgent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I at risk? Semi Urgent
Hannah C.
Neophyte
Member # 54647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannah C.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not alltogether sure if I'm posting this in the correct area. If I'm not, feel free to correct me on that.

So, yesterday my boyfriend and I were having penetrative sex. I am on NuvaRing and have been for about two years now, and he always uses a condom. Things were going well, and then he ejaculated into the condom. After he pulled out, he noticed some (probably not enough to fill up a teaspoon) white goo around my vagina, and was horrified. He thinks that some of the ejaculate may have been squeezed out of the top of the condom when he was ejaculating. I, to be honest, couldn't tell if it was that, lube from the condom, or some of my own. The condoms we were using haven't expired, I'm fairly sure he bought them last July, and there *was* quite a bit of ejaculate, so I'm willing to buy that it did just spill out the top a little.

I told him that there wasn't too much cause for worry, as I'm already on NuvaRing, and he didn't get any ejaculate inside of me, just around the outside. That being said, I also took a trip to the ladies room to thoroughly wash myself out, just to be on the safe side. But he said "Well, what if some of it got inside? We're not reay for that if it did."

My doctor tells me that NuvaRing has a 98% success rate, so because of this, I'm not really as worried as I could be. However, my boyfriend is really nervous about this, and wants an answer. So, for my boyfriend's peace of mind: If he was using a condom with a small bit of spillage, and it didn't go directly inside my vagina, and I'm on a pretty darn close to reliable birth control, how at risk am I for pregnancy? Should I be a bit more worried than I am? Do I need to take a Morning After Pill?

I would really appreciate a speedy answer on this.

Thank you,
Hannah C.

Posts: 14 | From: Alaska | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hannah. Because you're also on the NuvaRing, the risk of pregnancy in this situation is very low. I wouldn't think the emergency contraceptive pill is necessary since, as your doctor said, the NuvaRing has a very high effectiveness rate, and it didn't fail.

Just to check in to make sure you both know how to use condoms correctly; make sure that you or your partner holds the condom at the base while he pulls his penis out, and make sure to use plenty of lube (even with pre-lubed condoms). That way the condoms will be at their most effective as well.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannah C.
Neophyte
Member # 54647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannah C.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the prompt reply!

I figured that this was the case, and I'll tell him to hold the base of the condom next time. I'm sure he'll appreciates this quite a bit. He worries a lot about, "accidents", let's call it.

Posts: 14 | From: Alaska | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, no problem [Smile] Glad I could help.

Here's an article from our main site that he might find helpful:

Pregnancy Scared?

(it's more directed at the people who are able to get pregnant, but the "Are you still scared?" section can most definitely apply to non-uterus-havers too)

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.