Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Infection? Extremely confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infection? Extremely confused
Ginseng05
Neophyte
Member # 95785

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ginseng05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well a couple weeks ago I was with my boyfriend. He performed manual and oral sex on me but we never had intercourse. In fact, I have never had intercourse. Anyways a few days after that I have been very itchy and been having brown discharge.

I discussed it with my mother and she thinks that it is just irritation from my birth control (I have been on seasonique for almost a year now) but I can't help but think that it is some horrible infection. At times there is a vague yeast smell but I can never tell for sure. I tried to take medication but I get so dry that it is impossible for me to properly use it even with lubricant.

Has anyone had some similar experience?

[ 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Ginseng05 ]

Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ginseng05! Welcome to scarleteen [Smile]

Brown discharge often occurs before/after menstruating; so if you have just recently had your period or are about to start it, your brown discharge could be explained by that.

However, itching is often a sign of a yeast infection, which can be caused by a variety of things so it is possible that you have got one.

If you've never had a yeast infection or any other infection before, it is not advised to self-medicate because if you take the wrong medication it can make your infection worse.

The best thing to do would be to see your doctor or gynecologist as soon as you can, they will be able to tell you what it is and prescribe any medication you may need.

Here's a link with more information on yeast infections if you want to check it out:
Yeast Infections

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginseng05
Neophyte
Member # 95785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ginseng05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well because I am on Seasonique (4 periods a year) I haven't had a period/withdrawal bleeding for 2 months and I won't have one for another month. So I'm not really on or around my period which is why I'm so confused by the brown discharge
Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginseng05
Neophyte
Member # 95785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ginseng05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Did a double post

[ 05-12-2012, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Ginseng05 ]

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And are you both up-to-date with your general sexual healthcare, including tests for STIs and other infections?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginseng05
Neophyte
Member # 95785

No. My next yearly exam isn't till June. I've never really considered an STI because I've never had intercourse.
Ginseng05
Neophyte
Member # 95785

I should probably add that when I first got on this birth control I had two yeast infections soon after so I suspect that this BC makes me more prone
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sSTIs can be transmitted by other sexual activities as well as intercourse. Asking for a full STI screening at your exam is an important part of your sexual health care.

You might find this risk assessment helpful:

STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginseng05
Neophyte
Member # 95785

I looked at all the pages with stds related to the activities I've engaged in but none of them fit my symptoms.
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Onionpie stated, the best thing to do would be to see your doctor or gynecologist as soon as you can. This way you'll be properly treated if there is an issue.

There is no way for us to tell you specifically what it is since it isn't sound to diagnose over the Internet.

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.