Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » SO LOST! I can't find a birth control that works for me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SO LOST! I can't find a birth control that works for me
louemma
Neophyte
Member # 60563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for louemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in love with the birth control Gianvi. I had no side effects! But then, my parents lost their insurance and I couldn't afford it.

I decided to go to Planned Parenthood. They are very nice to me there and got me on the pill. The first type was microgestin, which gave me painful acne all over my back and chest. They switched me to ortho tri cyclen, which I might even say is worse! My breasts are so swollen I bought bigger bras, and now they are even too big for the new bras. I also have oddly heavy periods.

I dont know what to do. i feel like a nuisance switching again, because when I called they said to try it a little bit longer.

Any advice? Should I switch back to the pill that only gave me acne instead of very heavy periods and horribly painful and growing breasts?

My doctors are no help because of no insurance. I'm so tired of this! What would you do?

Posts: 35 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm looking at Gianvi, which obviously worked for you very well, and seeing that its formulation is 3 mg of drospirenone and 0.02 mg of ethinyl estradiol.

I'm betting -- not a doctor, but a contraceptive counselor, and making a pretty educated guess -- the difference between that one for you and these others is the drospirenone, since it's a newer progestin not in either of those brands. That's the progestin that's also in Yaz and Yasmin, and it really does tend to be pretty different than the progestins in those other two brands.

The bad news is that a higher risk of health effects, namely blood clots, have been associated with that particular hormone. Doesn't mean these are a no-go for you, just something to talk with your clinician about and consider.

If you're okay with that, it sounds to me like seeing if they can let you try a different brand which has that drospirenone in it might be your best bet.

Also, it's okay for you to ask to keep switching when things aren't working for you. Mind, side effects from all pills, when people get them, most often subside or get really subtle after the first few months of use, so you might want to try a *little* longer, just so you don't wind up in nonstop side effect hell from switching, and to see if this settles out for you or not. For instance, breast changes are usually due to water retention, which usually levels out in a couple cycles.

But it's totally your call, either way.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
louemma
Neophyte
Member # 60563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for louemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard those sort of scary things about Gianvi/Yaz... which always made me a little uneasy! However, I don't believe Planned Parenthood carries pills with that hormone in it. I asked the first time I was there.

So it seems to me I'll need to find a regular one that will at least work for me.

I am JUST about to finish my second pack of this specific pill. So really, I haven't been on it long. However, I was only on the first one for 2 months when they switched me.

It does feel a little hell-ish if you ask me, and I'm not too excited about switching again! I guess this isn't a life or death situation. I hope it figures itself out!

Posts: 35 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd check with them to be sure (especially since they can prescribe any brand, they just may not have all of them to dispense at the clinic), but if not, the thing about pills like Yaz that makes them different for people per effects is about them being more anti-andorgenic. So, you can ask which pills they do dispense much more like the one you were using before (I think -- again, do ask -- Alesse might be another that's a bit more similar). The two they've chosen so far are pretty different.

But why don't you see if you can't stretch this out through one more pack: if the side effects haven't chilled out by then, they're probably not going to much more.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
louemma
Neophyte
Member # 60563

I know my planned parenthood only dispenses about 8-10 different types of pills, and I know for a fact that they do not dispense Yaz. I told them that I was happy with Yaz, and they said "Well we have these.." and showed me different options.

I'm not sure what you mean by prescribing any brand though. How does that help things? Wouldn't I still have to pay out of pocket for them, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't have any insurance.

I'm just nervous for my body. I don't like messing with it! I can certainly call or set up an appointment online with them.

I just keep thinking that it would be so nice if contraceptives weren't so expensive. I'm tired of how old fashioned things seem... I feel like nearly every girl my age (as well as younger and older) have been on or are on some time of contraceptive. Barely any of us have the means to afford them, but we certainly feel the NEED to be on them!

I'm getting all worked up. Oh it would be nice to have some power. [Frown]

Heather
Member # 3

Hey, I totally feel you. I, myself, haven't had insurance since 1984, and my own personal struggles with paying for healthcare and contraception aside, lack of access to affordable contraception globally is one of the biggest barriers we have to massively improved women's rights, lives and health in the world. It's sound to get worked up about.

In terms of having another brand covered they don't dispense, I'd ask them what your options are. I don't know if it's then mean you had to pay or not.

But just to make sure, what state are you in? I ask because some have programs that cover contraception for uninsured people. If you are eligible for public health in your state, filing for that would be smart, too, especially since this isn't the only area of your health to take care of.

As another option, you might also want to think about a method besides the pill you can be sure PP can provide you. For instance, an IUD might be an option for you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

louemma
Neophyte
Member # 60563

I live in north Dakota and I mistakenly told you I had no insurance. The truth is, I am just recently under my dads insurance.. But in the policy book it states, "No contraceptives covered." so I have no insurance coverage for birth control.

I just think its ridiculous that I actually have some insurance now, and that birth control isn't covered in the least.

Heather
Member # 3

I know, it's beyond the place that some insurance policies don't cover contraceptives.

I don't suppose you know if your insurance covers them if they are prescribed for a reason besides contraception? Some make that exception. (Again, that's crummy, but hey, might be a useable loophole for you.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

louemma
Neophyte
Member # 60563

I tried. They do not cover contraceptives of any sort!

Jeesh.

Heather
Member # 3

Darn. Figured it was worth a shot. [Frown]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.