Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Just a Curious Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just a Curious Question
KatieLynn963
Activist
Member # 69153

Icon 3 posted      Profile for KatieLynn963     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear I'm not trying to use this as a birth control method at all I'm just curious. Is there even documentation of a pregnancy without penetration (besides scientific means)? I see people on the web claiming that there are documentated cases where this has happened but if they did, wouldn't the world hear of these things happening over the news??

--------------------
"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it."

~Walt Disney

Posts: 114 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when I was working in the abortion clinic, a couple of times we had someone in there for whom that was the case. Once a young woman even had a nearly fully-intact hymen so had to get a hymenectomy to have her termination.

I'm not sure what you mean when you're asking for "documentation" of pregnancy without "penetration." We don't really document, in general, how people get pregnant period when it comes to things like I think you're asking about. We know, and have for hundreds of years, that pregnancy can and does happen when there is direct genital-to-genital contact of a penis and vulva, with a wide array of different scenarios.

I suspect what you're asking is really only the kind of thing we'd commonly hear asked now that things like "technical virginity" are out and about: before ideas like that, a question like this just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, and still isn't really going to to those of us who work in sexual health. Do you know what I mean?

Or maybe you're asking about pregnancy without there even being direct contact?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick addition on this: I think it is really important to remember that one of the reasons this kind of framework isn't so useful is that everyone's fertility is not the same.

So, for instance, that girl I mentioned at the clinic DID get pregnant via only external vulval contact. Other people would not. One woman can have unprotected intercourse her whole life and never get pregnant, while another will the very first time she does.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KatieLynn963
Activist
Member # 69153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatieLynn963     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just asking if anyone has ever gotten pregnant without penetration in general (Again, without scientific means).

--------------------

~Walt Disney

Posts: 114 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

If by that you mean without a penis clearly entering a vaginal canal, then the answer is yes.

I can't link you to any studies on that, just like I can't to studies showing how many people have become pregnant VIA clear, "absolute" vaginal intercourse, because I don't know of any studies that address these things at all. Again, that's not surprising since from a sexual/repro health standpoint, the fine lines laypeople might draw between what is intercourse and what is kind-of-but-not, or "technically" not aren't useful or meaningful.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

KatieLynn963
Activist
Member # 69153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatieLynn963     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I understand, thanks for your time [Smile]

--------------------

~Walt Disney

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.