Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » FAM Resources

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FAM Resources
minty
Neophyte
Member # 94668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I would like to learn more about about how to track fertility by FAM and how to use it as a birth control method by itself or in combination with condom use.

Are there any books that you would recommend? How does one locate classes on FAM? How long is a typical FAM course?

Thanks,
minty

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about classes, but we do have a post that gives a good overview: Get With the Flow: All About FAM

And a very good book to read on this is Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of your Fertility.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minty
Neophyte
Member # 94668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I read the post and want to learn more. I'll check out Toni Weschler's book.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weschler's book is pretty well considered the bible of FAM, so that's a terrific place to start. She explains the process, provides sample charts and illustrations...it really is a complete resource. Be aware though that the book itself is targeted more toward those using FAM to TTC, rather than for preventing pregnancy. There is information about using it for prevention, but not as much as there is about trying to conceive. Don't let yourself get frustrated with it, the info is there.

In terms of the classes, I'd start by doing some searches for "fertility awareness method classes" with your local area specified. If you have any women's health centers/clinics or Planned Parenthood locations nearby, they might also be able to point you toward course. Be careful about any class you find...you want to check to see that what they are teaching is actually fertility awareness (not withdrawal or rhythm, etc.).

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.