Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » White Vaginal Opening, Burning, and Itching... But no weird smell???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: White Vaginal Opening, Burning, and Itching... But no weird smell???
Isolde Blythe
Neophyte
Member # 46993

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Isolde Blythe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really find anything on this problem, so I guess I'll ask it here.

A week or so ago I developed a persistent itch of my labia and around the vaginal opening. Since the itch wasn't major, I figured it had to do with my detergent or not drying properly. Over the past week or so, though, the itch has gotten worse. I've also developed some minor burning. Again, I didn't think anything of it, especially since my vaginal discharges and smell are perfectly normal. They still are, too.

I took a mirror and found out that my vaginal opening, instead of being its usual pink, is now white. The texture changed, too. I don't really know how to describe it, because it's not bumpy, but it's not smooth either, that's for sure.

Any idea what might be the cause of this? I haven't been sexually active for over 18 months, and me and my partner used condoms religiously, so I doubt that it's a late-blooming STD or something.

ETA: Could this be a yeast infection? I looked again and the discharge is the oddest thing, like the cottage cheese websites describe. I suppose that's why it looked like the actual opening was white.

[ 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Isolde Blythe ]

Posts: 10 | From: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what this could be, and really, no one on here is a doctor and even if we were we couldn't diagnose you over the internet, but it does sound like something is certainly up. You should check in with your doctor about this as it could be serious, but no matter what it is it is important to check in with a doctor anytime something changes in an alarming way.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 859 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sounds like a yeast infection to me - itching and thick white discharge are textbook symptoms. And no, yeast infections don't really smell. Like Moonlight said, you should get to your doctor. He/she will give you an antibiotic to clear it up quickly. [Smile]

[ 03-03-2012, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Roxie102 ]

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have an article here on yeast infections: Candidiasis AKA Yeast Infection. However, as Moonlight and Roxie said above; a doctor needs to see this and make a diagnosis so you can be treated ASAP.

[ 03-04-2012, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isolde Blythe
Neophyte
Member # 46993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isolde Blythe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I'm making an appointment tomorrow for (hopefully) Tuesday visit to my college's health center. Do I need to see a gynecologist specifically, or will a GP do?
Posts: 10 | From: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A GP will do, as will a GYN; so it's up to you who you see. [Smile]

[ 03-05-2012, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isolde Blythe
Neophyte
Member # 46993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isolde Blythe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, ladies. [Smile] I visited a gynecologist a couple of days ago, and got prescriptions of diflucan and hydrocortizone cream. I appreciate all of the help!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.