Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » a questions that needs to be answered !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a questions that needs to be answered !
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 3 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey there, i am a bit worried about something that i posted a few days back, and i know there is an article about it already, but if a women was to have implantation bleeding, how long after e.g. sex or a pregancy risk would it happen, in a matter of hours, maybe days just so many websites say so many different things ?
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implantation is not an instant occurrence and usually takes at least a week.

You have read here that implantation bleeding is really rare, right?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i think its just a bit of panicking after reading things online thats induced what im feeling, because i have been having a bit of brownish discharge, for the past few days and its not near my period yet, could abrasion be a cause of this ?
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little discharge (what a lot of people call spotting) isn't unusual every once in a while. Are you taking the birth control pill? I ask because this can make spotting more likely.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, i usually get discharge (white the norm) but its been brown it was like thick on saturday but is a little more watery now, i think it may have been my boyfriend being a bit rough and causing a bit of breakthrough bleeding, like old blood, just a theory though?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting can happen for many reasons, and small scrapes inside the vagina can be one possibility. If it's caused by a little bit of old blood making its way out of the uterus, it tends to be brownish, whereas bleeding caused by a partner being a bit rough then it tends to be a brighter red. Either way though, it's not something to be concerned about.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

okay thank you, can it being thickish then watering down normal?
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure can. What the blood and uterine lining in spotting and periods can look like varies widly.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

okay thanks last question if one was to actually have implantation bleeding how long would it last?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, you experienced this spotting the same day as sexual activity.

Implantation bleeding is something that happens -- when it does, and it won't with most pregnancies -- when the fertilized egg implants itself in the uterine wall. That is not something that happens that fast, but takes days at least, often closer to a week after a kind of sex that can create a pregnancy.

So, it seems awfully clear that this is not what you were experiencing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

yeah not sex or what i would say was a substantial risk, but i panicked because i put in what i had (the brownish discharge) and all described was a pregnancy symptom, and it did scare me a bit which is why im asking, how long does it usually last (the bleeding) a day or more?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it happens, it's typically very light spotting over a day or so.

But again, implantation CANNOT happen the same day as sex. Conception simply is not instantaneous like that. When it happens, it is a process of several days or more, with implantation being the last part of that process.

Here's more so you can better understand this process: Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

thanks for the reassurance, i think having these light cramps and discharge then looking it up made me panic a lot, i started getting the discharge (brown) an hour after my sexual (not sex) it was only a bit though but there was a lot on saturday, so i can be safe to presume that is WAY to fast for implantation?
Heather
Member # 3

Again, yes.

An egg cannot be fertilized, then go through all the cell divisions it needs to, then move down into the uterus and implant in an hour. Or even a day or two.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

if it was caused by my boyfriend being too rough does it sound like it when i say that it was REALLY light on friday like a spot then saturday like a lot more with pink then just really slightly brown now, does that sound like abrasion or something ?
Heather
Member # 3

Yes.

Know, too, that sometimes some people also have some spotting or bleeding with ovulation, and that that can happen with genital infections or imbalances as well.

And all of those scenarios, including abrasions during sexual activity, are far more common causes of unexplained bleeding or spotting than implantation.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

so should i be worried that its lasted nearly a week?
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

a few weeks ago i took EC a month ago actually, before my last period which was january 29th can me taking the EC actually have an influence on this period? I think my main concern is the fact that its lasted almost a week now, i mean can implantation bleeding last that long?
Im not getting any other symptoms so should i just consider going to my local NHS walk in centre and get it checked out there, see what the doctors there have to say?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Emergency contraception will definitely have an affect on your cycles for a few months after taking it. At this point it doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about, though if it continues, or something else happens that concerns you, by all means it should be checked out.

--------------------
Robin

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

okay thank you [Smile] can it still effect it even though after i took it about a week after my period was totally regular?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can, yep. As Robin said, EC can affect your cycles for quite some time after taking it, and it impacts everyone slightly differently.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

okay thank you, is there a reason why my discharge looks white and normal not visually brown when i look in a mirror but brown on a tissue ? >.<
Heather
Member # 3

Probably because your skin isn't white like the tissue.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

okay thanks, ive suddenly been getting a lot more of this discharge, like not a period at all just a lot more than my normal discharge, i usually get like a 2 by 2cm spot each day but there is a lot more, and i did see the smallest speck of red in the discharge, seeing as how this has been a week can i rule out implantation bleeding for sure, because i heard it only lasts 2 days at the most, im really sorry to keep asking about it, i just find it hard to get over this worry :/
Heather
Member # 3

If you take a pregnancy test, THAT is how you can rule out a pregnancy. And if you can't let go of this worry about pregnancy, that is the best single thing I would always advise.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

would i have to wait till next friday seeing as how the last sexual activity i had was last friday and that was the only activity since my last period? or would a test at the doctors mean i could have one now ?
Heather
Member # 3

Tests at the doctors are usually the same tests you take at home. So, getting tested there earlier wouldn't be sound.

So, yep, you'll want to wait it out a little longer.

And in the meantime, while you wait, if you feel like this is just really agonizing for you, how about talking with your partner to re-evaulate if being sexually active is a sound thing for you right now?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

well yeah its something i have already discussed, and i think we're gonna have a break from it because i noticed this is happened frequently and i just want to calm down for a while, i havent had sex at all but still i get these symptoms and panic so i will definatly delve deeper into how i feel about my sexual life
Heather
Member # 3

I think that might be a good idea.

You know, while I'm glad there are services like ours around, one thing I sometimes worry about is that it can make it easier for people to avoid really sitting with themselves and doing their own self-reflection -- as well as really talking to partner, too -- around things like pregnancy or STI scares. I think there's often a real value i doing that, even if and when it's uncomfortable, because often those scares and our feelings about them truly can give us excellent cues about making sexual choices that are really right for us.

Know what I mean?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

yeah totally, i think people rely too much now days on the services around them thinking there is always something to fall back onto like sti testing etc, but a lot of people are uncomfortable with what they are doing they just don't realize it, which i found was my case, it actually turned into anxiety for me so i am gonna really consider what i want to do with my sexual life by myself without the influence of others, something i feel a lot of young girls should really do being 15 i know teenage life is tough being bombared with worries about sexual life doesnt help,
Heather
Member # 3

You know, at every age, there are often times in life where sex with partners isn't the right thing for us or our relationships, for a whole big host of reasons.

And I think that learning that's okay, when it's not, sooner, rather than later -- after years of feeling obligated, which happens to far too many people, especially women who partner with men -- is a very, very good thing. It really always is okay to take sex of any kind off the table when it's not the right things for us before, during and after, physically, emotionally or interpersonally. Always.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

yeah i am gonna try that, i mean i have gotten to the point where i know im not pregnant i know i havent had any risks but my anxiety is still there and girls are all different, i am ready for what i am doing physically just not mentally, thats what im gonna work on really [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Sounds like a good move! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.