Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sex, Period and confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex, Period and confusion
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I don't want to sound all confused asking some questions. I was on a different birth control until I started to get ovarian cysts and then the doctor changed my birth control a month ago to something different and A week before starting the sugar pills I had what you would call a period for 2 days and now it's Friday 2 days before the sugar pills start and I'm on my period or bleeding.

Now, I had sex last night with a condom because the birth control I was on before made my periods miss months due to the cysts. Well, my boyfriend wore a condom and when we were finished it was like off but still on. Like, maybe 2-3 inches of the condom was off and the rest was still on his penis.

My questions are why did I bleed a week before the sugar pills and bleeding now 2 days before the sugar pills?

Did I hmmm, concieve because I started to bleed a few hours after sex? Or am I just okay?

Please help me out.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bleeding at various times, often called breakthrough bleeding, is pretty common when taking birth control pills, especially within the first few months of taking taking them, or taking a new brand.

Can you describe what you mean by the condom coming off of your partner's penis?

I'm a little unclear about your second question. I think you're saying that you had some bleeding shortly after intercourse and you're wondering if that means you conceived. Am I understanding that correctly?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The condom was half on and half off when we finished and yes, did I coneive or no or what could it be, am I safe?
Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just learned that the condom we used ripped... and a few hours after I started to bleed not a lot a little... I'm freaking out. What should I do?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beauty of using two birth control methods is that when one doesn't work the other one is there. Bleeding a few hours after sex doesn't have anything to do with the condom breaking. Breakthrough bleeding is very a common side effect of being on birth control pills, especially when just starting to take them, or just starting, as you are, to take a different brand.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay, so I may not be pregnant or I may. I just found out today that the condom broke and we had sex Thursday night into Friday morning, so the option of plan b I can't take anymore. I'm probably not pregnant but I mean it ripped/broke... like how am I not suppose to feel upset and worried? I'm freaking out.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Have you taken your birth control pill at the same time of day every single day this month?

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

No, I haven't and I missed 3 days of it.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Three consecutive days? Did you make up the pills when you realized you missed them?

Are you having your withdrawal bleed now?
?
?

[ 02-12-2012, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

No I didn't make up the pills that I missed. I just checked and there is brown colour blood.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Bleeding is a good sign that you did not become pregnant. Because both of your methods were not 100% effective as used, it's a good idea to take a pregnancy test 14 days after the risk occurred.

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay... like I may not be or??? Still freaking out
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Freaking out is understandable.

Basically, if someone gets her withdrawal bleed, or period if she's not on the pill, that's a really strong indication that pregnancy did not occur. Make sense?

Because both of your methods didn't work optimally it is sound to test for pregnancy when the time comes. I'm curious about how it was that you only learned today about the condom breaking.

Would it be helpful to have some more information about what to do when you miss a pill?

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Yea, could I have some help on when I miss a pill would be helpful.

He txted me today telling me it broke...

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

How do you feel about the fact that he waited so long to tell you?

Sure thing. Basically, you want to take it as soon as you remember, or, if when you go to take it the next day you see you didn't take the previous day's pill, take both at once.

There's lots more information in here:

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I was shocked that he told me. I had asked him after the fact if it tore and he said it's all good because I noticed it was half on and half off his penis, so I asked.

Okay, so if I missed a pill and I take the one I missed with the one I need to take that day? Got it. I didn't really know this, I thought as soon as possible that day.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As soon as possible that day is ideal, but if you don't notice until yyou go to take the next one you should take them both then.

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay. Thank You
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

The article I gave you will have more details on this and lots of other useful info about the pill.

How do you feel about your boyfriend not telling you the truth when you initially asked him about the condom?

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I'm unsure about how I should feel about it. I'm a little mad and surprised at the same time. Like he just told me in a txt message today. So, I really don't know how I should feel.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Feeling mad and surprised is completely understandable.

You're allowed to feel however you want to feel about it. [Smile] As you mentioned above, you missed the critical period for taking the morning after pill, which is something you might have chosen to do if you had had all the accurate information you needed to make that decision. Being sexual in a relationship is a team project, both the good parts and the responsible parts (like birth control).

Just a few thoughts for you.

--------------------
Robin

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I had sex last night with same partner we used condoms and what not and again it broke I didn't know this until after the fact but I did go to the school nurse and got the morning after pill she said I was just a few hours behind so yea. I also have a doctors appointment today so I'll bring this up with her. I'm not sure why the condom is keep on breaking...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to talk through the breaking condoms? We can probably figure it out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Yea. Why do they break and I wasn't dry like I was wet... I wasn't thinking in bringing my spermicide I had gotten for extra protection...
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you're also using extra lubricant with them regardless>?

Also, are they being stored properly?

How about how you or your partner are putting them on: always leaving plenty of room in the tip?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

First question: No, no extra lubricant

Second question: Yes, they're being stored properly I had them in a secret pouch in my bag and before was stored in a container in a drawer.

Third question: I'm unsure I usually put them on... maybe not a lot of room. I do pinch the top of it so the air is out...

Heather
Member # 3

So, sounds like you're doing at least one thing that contributes to breakage, which is going without added lube. That's certainly something to correct that's likely to help.

But if the breakage is mostly or only happening when your partner ejaculates, that also suggests it's very likely that enough room isn't being left in the tip. When you (or someone else) put a condom on, it's vital to leave somewhere around a half-inch to an inch hanging off the tip so the ejaculate has somewhere to go.

If you make sure to always do both those things, breakage is much more likely to become the rarity it is with proper condom use.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay thank you. Makes sense now

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.