Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Missed periods- not pregnant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed periods- not pregnant
Rolta
Neophyte
Member # 49038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rolta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago I made a post about how I started a new type of birth control pill and my periods were really irregular. My period is 4 weeks late and I'm a bit worried about it. There is a slight risk of pregnancy because in the month before my missed period I had sex with my boyfriend without a condom, but he didn't ejaculate and I already take birth control so the risk is very minimal. I've taken four at home pregnancy tests since my last period and all of them have come up negative, the last one I took was two days ago. Should I be worried about this? I've never been this late on a period. I'm on my placebo week for my current pill pack but I don't feel like I'm about to bleed. I've also noticed a tightness during sex that I usually experience right before I'm about to get my period, but I've had this feeling for more than a week. Is it possible that my period's ready but it's not being released for some reason?
Posts: 17 | From: Columbus Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolta
Neophyte
Member # 49038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rolta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And btw, I'm on a low-dose combination pill
Posts: 17 | From: Columbus Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolta
Neophyte
Member # 49038

Can I have a reply please? Since I took so many pregnancy tests and they all came out negative should I just assume that everything's ok? Or is there any reason for me to contact a doctor? I've been reading online that it's normal not to have periods on low dose pills but I've also read that I should see a doctor if I don't have my period for two months.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most women, the withdrawal bleed comes during the week of the placebo pills. Because there are no hormones in the placebo pills, the body can shed the uterine lining. The uterine lining is usually thinner because of the pill and some women do miss withdrawal bleeds.

If you have taken several pregnancy tests and they have come up negative, there's no reason to think that you are pregnant.

You're right that every time one has sex, even when one is on birth control, there is a risk of pregnancy. To give you an idea of the Pill's effectiveness: It's been shown to be 99% effective with perfect use, and 92% effective with typical use.

Of course, if you continue to not get a withdrawal bleed each month and this concerns you, you can consult your doctor, as you can always do if something doesn't feel right with your body.

You may already have seen this, but just for your reference here's an article with all sorts of info about the pill and the way it works with the body.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.