Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Bleeding during sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bleeding during sex
phoebe445
Neophyte
Member # 94473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phoebe445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had the coil fitted about 3 weeks ago, a week before that i had unprotected sex and thought i could be pregnant so i took a test a few days after which came back negative so i then went to get the coil fitted. everything with the coil was fine then a night ago i was bleeding during sex with my boyfriend and i produced a lump of tissue just a bit bigger then the size of a golf ball. i've tried looking on google to see if i can get any answers as i dont want to go to the doctors if its nothing or just a side affect of the coil.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you had your IUD inserted, were you also checked for STIs? That is supposed to be standard practice -- since having or getting an STI when you first have an IUD inserted can be very dangerous for your health -- but it's not always done.

It may be, mind, the bleeding is about the IUD and your body getting used to it, but since unexplained bleeding with sex can also be related to infections, and it's a major health issue, I'd want to make sure it wasn't an infection first.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phoebe445
Neophyte
Member # 94473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phoebe445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had a full screening done before the coil was fitted and all came back clear the only thing they didnt do was a pregnancy test.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, since you had all that pre-coil care, unless since your fitting, you added a new sexual partner or went without condoms when you didn't before, an infection seems unlikely. Seems like what's most likely is that the bleeding is from the IUD.

Have you had your follow-up visit after the insertion yet? If not, is that visit coming up soon?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phoebe445
Neophyte
Member # 94473

i should be going in 3weeks time for the check up. im just worried about what the mass of tissue was and if i should be worried or not.
Heather
Member # 3

What I'd suggest is just calling into the healthcare provider who inserted it for you and letting them know about it and make a determination as to if THEY think that's something they think needs checking out.

If they do, they'll probably just move your follow-up to sooner rather than later, that's all.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.